Thread: Fighters Using Different Names ?

Hybrid View

Default Fighters Using Different Names ?

What are peoples views on this ?

Is it good for the sport, or is it detrimental to the sports progression as regards safety etc. ?
    REFEREE with MMA Officials

I changed my name when i fought MMA the first few times. Well, my idea was, you know, I want a name, I want it so it can cut glass, razor sharp. When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Dirk Diggler."
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

I have to fight under a different name for work reasons. I am
    Honest and open about it n let my opponents know who I really am

Quote Originally Posted by SuntanSuperman View Post
    I have to fight under a different name for work reasons. I am
    Honest and open about it n let my opponents know who I really am
    Batman?????
    MMA (9-2 8 subs) Sponsored Athlete under Tatami Fight Wear, G&S welterweight champion

Quote Originally Posted by Esputahlo View Post
    Batman?????
    Hahahaha

Ten chars

The one and only reason it should happen is if a fighter's day job are preventing him/her from competing. Of course we'd all love to live in a world where said fighter gave their boss the middle finger and fought loud and proud under their real name, but realistically people have bills to pay and sometimes the day job has to come first.

It all comes down to trust I suppose...it's down to those individuals to be honest about their records if they are using different names.

I guess when/if a governing body crops up this is something they'd abolish. That'd be unfortunate for those fighting under different names due to their days jobs, but ultimately better for the integrity of the sport overall.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

Unless its for the reasons above, it's a massive cunts trick IMO. My mate had his debut semipro fight on one of the London shows, with his oppo also being debut. Alarm bells started ringing when he showed up with cauliflower ears etc. My pal ended getting a hiding and the dickhead celebrated like he had won TUF. It could have been a lot nastier than it was, mainly down to decent refereeing stopping it early. Not the shows fault, the bloke had simply just changed his surname and Christian name around.

Quote Originally Posted by Buts View Post
    Unless its for the reasons above, it's a massive cunts trick IMO. My mate had his debut semipro fight on one of the London shows, with his oppo also being debut. Alarm bells started ringing when he showed up with cauliflower ears etc. My pal ended getting a hiding and the dickhead celebrated like he had won TUF. It could have been a lot nastier than it was, mainly down to decent refereeing stopping it early. Not the shows fault, the bloke had simply just changed his surname and Christian name around.
    Cauli ears doesn't mean he can't be a debut semi pro fighter, quite a few thai/boxing guys have it so its not really relevant. More like they didnt check up on his background enough when putting on the match, sign of bad matchmaking
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by jim2007 View Post
    Cauli ears doesn't mean he can't be a debut semi pro fighter, quite a few thai/boxing guys have it so its not really relevant. More like they didnt check up on his background enough when putting on the match, sign of bad matchmaking
    I'm not sure of the exact reason but I know that back in the day there were a few Muay Thai and other types of kick boxers who fought n pro boxing used a different surname for each sport. I assumed it was something to do with the British Boxing Board of Control but whatever the reason it must have been a technicality because everyone knew who they were.

Having said that there was a bit of a scandal when a boxer who had a detached retina and lost his BBBofC licence used a BBBof C licence obtained by another kick boxer from the same city (which was a very dangerous risk to take from a health and welfare point of view)
    Last edited by Shaolin Exile; 07-10-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

What if they legally change it?

Jon Koppenhaver aka War Machine.

In all seriousness though if someone has a job that will not let them fight, Brad for example, then I fully support them using a different name. In fact one of my mates is desperate to fight but cannot as he works in a school. He mentioned that he sometimes has a black eye from sparring and to check he's not bluffing about the fighting the school googles his name so i advised he uses a different last name, his mothers maiden name for example. That way he gets to fight and he doesn't risk losing his job.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency