Thread: drilling one technique 10,000 times

Default drilling one technique 10,000 times

I am new to bjj. The classes are 30 mins drilling a technique then 30 mins live rolling. I learn by repitition. I have yet to feel like I have even started to learn anything. I know in the long run I will. But when I am not at the gym I'd like to drill the crap out of something to learn it. I know practice makes perfect, and would like to get a jump start by drilling. So my goal is to solo drill a few basic techniques on my own 10,000 times each. My question is as a beginner what would you recommend to drill solo at home?

get a punchbag or grappling dummy or anything really.....and drill switching diff side control positions to north south knee belly mount etc while maintaing heavy chest pressure and arms in right positions.... this is the most important part , to be able to control...and many people dont have the chest pressure that comes with GI training / drilling over and over...you can tell different between someone who can do it and someone who cant where u feel u cant breath from somewhere as basic as side control.....look on youtube

I would drill basic positions that your style requires you to be in most of the time. A lot of people get tired in these positions because the body does not naturally move that way. Hope this helps. Drill Drill Drill!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danhardy84 View Post
    get a punchbag or grappling dummy or anything really.....and drill switching diff side control positions to north south knee belly mount etc while maintaing heavy chest pressure and arms in right positions.... this is the most important part , to be able to control...and many people dont have the chest pressure that comes with GI training / drilling over and over...you can tell different between someone who can do it and someone who cant where u feel u cant breath from somewhere as basic as side control.....look on youtube
    This 100% mate- Ive always drilled positions etc,but the last couple of months me and a guy (his idea) who has years on me in BJJ have been focusing on one sequence- such as side,to knee on belly,switch k.o.b,reverse k.o.b,roll pass etc and repping the shit out of it. So in a 2 hour session, 15 mins will be warm up-grambys etc, 1.5 hours of repitition and a 15 min roll at the end. Been on this most days for about 7-8 weeks now and im gutted ive never put the time into reps in the past-especially someone with a good level to correct the tiniest thing. It deffo shows too as Ive come on more in these few weeks than in the last 6 month.

For a beginner, I would recommend you don't do any drilling outside class unless you have a high level training partner (good purple or above). If you are drilling wrong there will be nobody to correct you and you'll be teaching yourself to do things wrong.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Drilling is the key, as said by Rob just make sure your drilling with the correct technique no point drilling somthing 10,000 time's incorrectly because you might have to drill it 20,000 times to correct it
    www.KAOBON.com www.AUTOSTYLEALLOYWHEELS.CO.UK www.BODYFUEL.COM www.ASSECURITYLIMITED.COM