Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jones vs sonnen tuf

Quote Originally Posted by Gi-boy View Post
    Would be funny to see sonnen land his retarded spinning backfist on jones' smug face though.
    It would only be funny because Jones would take it then look at Chael like he just shit on the carpet.. I honestly cannot see a single way Chael wins this without being allowed to carry weapons into the cage. Even then, I would probably still bet on Jones to maul him before Chael figures out how to take the safety off.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Sonnen getting a title shot just proves again that MMA is not a sport.

If it was a sport, Sonnen would not be getting a title shot.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    At the end of the day whether your worthy counts for shit, the UFC are business and want to make money, the comedy value and viewing figures that Sonnen will bring to TUF will be huge.
    My very first thoughts Mr Grizzlington.

Lesnar couldn't save TUF.

And neither will this.

The current series is utter shit - The level of ability on this show is piss poor. I see a much better standard of the local MMA scene in Wales.

I'm enjoying 'The Smashes' and maybe that is because I could see a few of them having a impact in the UFC main roster?

Either improve the level of ability on the show or try something else.

Maybe more Prime Times or following a rookie fighter with legit talent as he makes his way to the UFC?

^ Sonnen is a bigger draw that Lesnar in terms of Comedy value, and figures because people enjoy seeing him outside of the cage where he works his whimsical comedy gold, the main thing about Lesnar was people liked see to see him fight that was about it.

I just liked seeing Lesnar finished lol.

I see Hendo has now taken to bitching about this, saying the title shot is bringing the sport into disrepute. Whilst I agree him in principle, I think it's a bit hypocritical. It's not like he's earned a title shot either really and doesn't have much of a better case than Chael. His only significant win since Bisping in 2009 was his razor close decision over Shogun and that hardly makes him the obvious #1 contender.

I suppose what this really highlights is that there is nobody with a valid claim to fight Jones. In which case, tying him up for 6 months with TUF makes sense for the belt (gives a chance for one of the up-and-coming fighters to rise to the surface, eg Glover or Alexander), makes sense for Jones' image (which needs a PR boost) and makes sense for TUF's waning viewing figures. Putting Chael in there on the other side is probably the best choice for the viewers too. It provides the most entertainment while polarizing Jones' into a good guy role.

So, while I don't fancy the fight, I think the UFC have made the best possible decision. I'll shut my mouth and stop complaining now.

See I think pretty much any LHW deserves the shot more than Chael, Chael hasnt fought at LHW in years, not even sure if he won his last LHW fight? Dude has been spanked by Silva, skimmed through a close decision with Bisping, what else has he done?

I agree 100% with Hendo, Hendo's body of work over the last couple of years pisses all over Chael's to be fair, dude put Fedor out, had a war with Rua etc, Chael.... well he lost to Silva...again...at a lower weight.

This is a bad bad bad idea from the UFC, though...conspiracy theorist in me thinks Jones is injured and will be on the shelf for awhile, this show will be used to build up Chaels profile / TUF's ratings, but no actual fight will happen.... or at least I hope thats the case. Otherwise, in the next few years, how many clowns are we going to have to put up with running their mouths off just because if they do a good enough job, it skips them to the front of a title shot.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by RKing85 View Post
    Sonnen getting a title shot just proves again that MMA is not a sport.

If it was a sport, Sonnen would not be getting a title shot.
    This doesn't make one bit of sense. If by 'MMA' you mean 'UFC', then yes, I agree.

MMA didn't give Sonnen the title shot, UFC did.

I think I see what you're trying to do but use another example.