Thread: Careers

Default Careers

Hi there guys, just looking for a bit of advice really. A bit new to the forum but I feel at home haha!

Basically for the last 3 years I have been trying to make it into the Motorsport industry with some success. Currently an apprentice for a team in the North West area. But this is my dilema! I took a hobby of playing about with cars into a career and I think its one step in the wrong direction I took! I go to work and crack on with it for not much money, and nearly being a 20 year old, I am on pennies (Apprentice wage of 2.60 an hr) Half the time it works out less as I get paid for 38 hrs and usually do about 45-50 hrs a week!

As I am not enjoying what I am doing. I have been thinking "Do I really want to do this for the next 40 years of my life?"

What advice do you have for someone like myself or from your past experience?

I've always liked to protect people and was going to become a Royal Marine but my medical record put a huge FULL STOP. on that choice. And also looked into Security but there is to many fish in the water in that industry and the pay became pennies etc...

I've always thought about reffing etc but never a full time position neither.

In Motorsport I don't have much social life as the hours are long and usually away from home. A lot of people think WOW, I would love your job. But we spend most of our time at work cleaning and under a high level of stress which takes its toll on home life. Especially when I want to dedicate some of my time in getting back into fighting again after being out of the sport recovering from an injury and then trying to make it into Motorsport.

What are your guys experiences on this? Choosing a career path for the rest of your life seems to be a bloody hard decision!

Even becoming a martial arts instructor takes years and years to be able to be one and the thought of the job is enjoyful. I used to help people train when I was training myself and absolutely loved it!

Any help is welcome as it feels at the moment I am smacking my head against a brick wall and it aint falling at all!

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Find something you like and do that, or something where the juice is worth the squeeze, my life has improved massively since I left the job I hated to do something I want to do
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Before you throw it all in, you have invested 3 years, how much longer do you feel you would have to invest before it starts paying off? There are no shortcuts in life (unless you are Tony Montana) so maybe stick with it and see where it takes you? Ask around, see what people within your workplace feel, how long before your prior efforts pay off etc, if its a dead end, fair enough, but if a bit more scrubbing and shizzle gets you playing around with hot pit girls in a year or two, then ....no brainer!
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

maybe join pistonheads or max power forums ?

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Before you throw it all in, you have invested 3 years, how much longer do you feel you would have to invest before it starts paying off? There are no shortcuts in life (unless you are Tony Montana) so maybe stick with it and see where it takes you? Ask around, see what people within your workplace feel, how long before your prior efforts pay off etc, if its a dead end, fair enough, but if a bit more scrubbing and shizzle gets you playing around with hot pit girls in a year or two, then ....no brainer!
    Tbh, it wont be long till I start making money. The thing which kills me about the job is the stress but you get a lot more rewards. I think it is one of those jobs you have to hate to love it. I go to work some times and think why but then others I am in there and the day goes quickly and have enjoyed it tbh.

Haha, I do historic racing and leman classic etc... No pit girls there

It has massive rewards tbh, get to travel all over Europe but only see the track, paddock, road to the track and the hotel ahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    maybe join pistonheads or max power forums ?
    Pistonheads is actually full of IT Directors tbf and max power just isn't me haha.

----------

I think some of the reasoning behind not liking my job is not being able to dedicate myself to martial arts as much as I like but when the 120-180 a day pay comes up, think it would be worth it.

But I spoke to my Boss today and he knows how much of my heart lies in Martial Arts and says as long as I make the time I have off up on other days, he isn't worth it. Just wanted to ask on a forum where others have a similar interest to myself in terms of sport.

Well, can't give you any more advice considering I am chilling like a mother fucker these days, took redundancy and a year out from working All I can say is that if you do enjoy the job at times, thats worth an awful lot, nothing worse than a job you really hate, granted if you want to get into MMA, you will have to make sacrifices but then I am sure most fighters do, put your head down, graft at work and graft in the gym, your rewards will come soon enough, wish you all the best mate.

Well, can't give you any more advice considering I am chilling like a mother fucker these days, took redundancy and a year out from working All I can say is that if you do enjoy the job at times, thats worth an awful lot, nothing worse than a job you really hate, granted if you want to get into MMA, you will have to make sacrifices but then I am sure most fighters do, put your head down, graft at work and graft in the gym, your rewards will come soon enough, wish you all the best mate.
    Haha can't blame you for that dude.

Yeah that is deffo true, that atleast I enjoy some of it! I got through the hardest part, first year in a huge team during a busy season of about 25 races with an average of 3-4 in each race. So atleast got the stress over and done with.

Well my boss is fine with me leaving half hr early some days to get to training which is mint! Work hard and then play hard

I would still demand on tap hot pit girls though seriously....

I would still demand on tap hot pit girls though seriously....
    Haha! We support things like Formula Renault World Series and some times things like the F1 etc... So there is some around. Or just employ the missus lmfao!