Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Sherdog matches that were never made...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben CQ View Post
    http://www.mmahq.com/blog/2012/01/03...goes-the-pain/

That breaks down Lesnar's numbers.

I wrote it ages ago.
    No talk about Lesnar sacking Greg Nelson prior to the Carwin fight?

I thought that was the biggest mistake Lesnar made.

Greg Nelson was the perfect trainer for Lesnar.

When Nelson went so did stetting up TDs with strikes and the big right that smashed HH's face in and dropped Mir.

Nelson was replace with Marty Morgan.

You had a rookie fighter with a rookie MMA trainer.

Morgan was Lesnar's old wrestling coach from college.

Erik Paulson did hang around for the Carwin fight, but had very little to do with the bulk of the training camp.

They used the Lesnar name to big up the Overeem name? Get a grip, Overeem has been huge for years knocking off guys in K1 and MMA picking up belts everywhere. His ratings were low in Strikeforce because he fought nobody, he has had two fights since Strikeforce has come into the mainstream and he fought Brett Rogers (WOW) and Fabricio Werdum which at the time nobody had a real interest in because everyone expected Reem to smash him and move on to Fedor.

At the time Randy was Heavyweight Champion and he was desperate for the Fedor fight it would have done more than a million. Why would that have been a perfect world?... Fedor vs Randy and then Fedor vs Brock, speaking hypothetically what if Randy beat Fedor... What would be the market then for Brock vs Fedor?

If the UFC wanted to rush big names to the belt they'd have given Hector Lombard the fight against Silva straight away because at the time that was what people wanted to see. Anyways forget about it, the argument could go on forever.

No one in North America gave a fuck what Reem did it the K1. K1 has a tiny fan base in the US.

Werdum had just beaten Fedor!!!!! No cared about Werdum at that point? What?

Quote Originally Posted by moogie101 View Post
    2 Million buys, my ass.
    Lesnar I accept was a hell of a draw & achieved a lot in such a short time.
    BUT, Fedor has never been a huge PPV draw or Affliction might have actually made some money.
    Lesnar vs. Fedor would have achieved as many PPV buys as the rest of Lesnar's fight, usually hovering just over the 1 mil mark. Those were fights against guys who were bigger names to the American PPV audience.
    No way a fight with Fedor would have doubled that.
    not really true. fedor would have brought a sizeable 'non-ufc- mma market, appealed to all true mma fans and would have been marketed like crazy to ensure all casual ufc fans would have made sure they were tuning in. it would have been the biggest fight in mma history had it happened when brock was in his prime.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinstonChurchill View Post
    No talk about Lesnar sacking Greg Nelson prior to the Carwin fight?

I thought that was the biggest mistake Lesnar made.

Greg Nelson was the perfect trainer for Lesnar.

When Nelson went so did stetting up TDs with strikes and the big right that smashed HH's face in and dropped Mir.

Nelson was replace with Marty Morgan.

You had a rookie fighter with a rookie MMA trainer.

Morgan was Lesnar's old wrestling coach from college.

Erik Paulson did hang around for the Carwin fight, but had very little to do with the bulk of the training camp.
    It's like Rogan said on the Podcast with Mac Danzig.

Two bulls at the top of the hill and one says, "Why don't we run into that field and fuck one of those cows?" The other looks back and replies, "Why don't we walk down there and fuck them all."

Too much, too soon.

Brock had all the physical tools in the only division where you could rely on them the most.

He was a different animal when his training methods changed I did agree with that much. I just think all the heads in the world can't buy the time he needed to develop his comfort levels in the pocket.
    16-bit for life http://findingdyluck.blogspot.co.uk/

I think Lesnar made a huge mistake sacking Nelson and has to accept all the blame for that.

I have Greg Nelson as one of the top coaches in MMA.

Sacking Nelson and then replacing him with a coach with zero MMA experience was just plain dumb - and this is MMA at the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinstonChurchill View Post
    Lesnar is by far the biggest draw in MMA history.
    Not according to DW.

And Dana thinks Fedor was nothing special.

PPV buy rates say that Lesnar is the biggest UFC draw to date.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_MMA View Post
    Not according to DW.
    I agree with him.

Just out of interest and I'm not talking about how much he made in few fights...

Who's generated more buys for their time within the UFC?.... Anderson Silva or Brock Lesnar?

The first 4 UFC PPVs for Anderson:

UFC 64 – 300,000 (Franklin vs. A. Silva)

UFC 67 – 350,000 (A. Silva vs. Lutter)

UFC 77 – 325,000 (A. Silva vs. Franklin II)

UFC 82 – 325,000 (Silva vs. Henderson)

Lesnar:

UFC 81 – 650,000 (Lesnar vs. Mir)

UFC 87 – 625,000 (Lesnar vs. Herring)

UFC 91 – 1,010,000 (Couture vs. Lesnar)

UFC 100 – 1,720,000 (Lesnar vs. Mir II)