Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SAFE MMA - backed by BAMMA, CWFC and UCMMA

Quote Originally Posted by Fisha View Post
    I struggle financially anyways without having to pay registration fee's. I think it's a good idea and obviously summit like this needs to be done but its a lot of money to pay out considering pro fighters purses are so low
    Yep and what about Ami fighters? This is potentially forcing up and coming fighters to fight in more dangerous environments as the top shows will be unable to use them.

The fact that no thought seams to have gone into these things speaks volumes for me about the people behind it.

edit, will check my facts

The US commissions just test for HIV and Hepatitis, the price seems pretty high for only those. Will a medical exam be included? What about an MRI or an ophthalmological exam? Is the only way to get on their database to pay this particular company for the blood tests?

It seems like the fighters are bearing a lot of the cost directly as opposed to the promoter, when you compare it to the BBBofC or the US athletic commissions.

Will SAFE MMA certification guarantee the promoter has appropriate insurance in case a fighter gets hurt?

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sol_dave View Post
    edit, will check my facts
    yeah, you do that. and wind your neck in, son!
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

just jokes bro

*high fives everyone in thread and walks off*
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Quote Originally Posted by BakedBean View Post
    Excuse me I have some questions before I blow up my balloons.

Who collects the money? Who is in charge of the bank account?

76 Harley Street

Not for profit? Can we see a schedule of rates that are charged from the Harley St team to the organization please? surely they are not cost prices and contain profit?
    Who scrutinized these and made sure they are the most competitive for the services they provide?

All accounts will be made public for total transparency. We all saw the costs and worked through the cost analysis together. I dont believe there is a profit in the charges, in fact there will probably be losses.

Who is paying the PR company for writing the press release?
    (is BAMMA's name being first and at the top coincidence? rat smelled)

We have all been working on this for free. There is no one organisation with more power than another...all equal...SAFE MMA is 76 Harley Street and the promotions are agreeing to the terms of SAFE MMA.
    Izzy has very kindly taken on the role as PR person as she has the skills and enthusiasm to perform that task.

How is the UK Governing body that starts operating in 2013 going to be effected by this?
    I believe you are referring to UKMMAF? They will use SAFE MMA for all their medical issues, so they dont need to worry about it!!

People are going to be expected to pay two memberships?
    With the money that goes into the UKMMAF's funds presumably going to help pay the expenses for industry professionals volunteering and the money from this organisation going to fund Harley St doctors and PR .
    I cant speak for UKMMAF, but SAFE MMA has launched. Members of the UKMMAF have been an integral part and we are all looking to work together to make this work in every which way for the sport.

BUT without investing anything into unifying rules , dealing with rogue promotions who do not pay industry suppliers and participants and fighters
    ...for the UKMMAF I'm afraid

Now before everybody jumps on me and says that I am being negative, I am all for the governing body and fully support what the IMMAF but what we have in the UK has to be right for us and not just the first thing that comes along.
    We absolutely all agree at SAFE MMA

I would have much preferred to see what the UKMMAF does in 2013 before this popped up as I would expect them to have covered all of this given they are the ones with IMMAF membership.
    I'm not sure that is relevant. SAFE MMA only deals with the medical safety of fighters. That is the scope and there are no plans to expand from there. it has been in the making for a very long time...nearly 2 years I believe. SAFE MMA is ready with a system in place and some of the best possible people on board. The UKMMAF will be dealing with a much broader remit, but has recognised SAFE MMA has taken the hard worry out of their hands with regard the medical screening procedures.

There is a Q&A section on the site which you can check out for compete details:
    http://www.76harleystreet.com/images...2022-10-12.pdf

I hope this helps Mr BB
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Yep and what about Ami fighters? This is potentially forcing up and coming fighters to fight in more dangerous environments as the top shows will be unable to use them.

The fact that no thought seams to have gone into these things speaks volumes for me about the people behind it.
    Oh believe me, lots of thought has gone into every conceivable aspect of this which is why it has taken so long to surface. SAFE MMA has to be realistic about what is achievable right now. With regard AMA fights, I would love to see screening for those too, but some shows dont even use head shots for AMA fights (not to say there isnt still a risk of blood etc).
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

The SAFE MMA registration fee 235 to CHHP, 76 Harley Street includes the cost of the two blood
    tests.

Really? thats how much it "COSTS" for a blood test? looks more like a retail price to me.

What on this list are they checking for? http://www.thehealthstation.co.uk/pathology-prices.aspx

Considering they will be hoping to get about 3-400 minimum of fighters and 7-8 promotion thats going to be well into the 6 figures , who negotiated the rates?
    No that cost is not just for the bloods. There is a cost per screening of blood disease, plus the administrative costs of collating the results with the software and also the results of the medicals that will be carried out by GPs. Also factor in the development of the medical assessment packs that have been designed by a leading sports Professor which are sent out to the fighter's GP. Add to that, the reports from the pre and post fight medicals that are done on the day, the initial entry of all the relevant details to enlist a fighter. I have probably missed something in my rush to type this.
    For those guys that have fought at the UFC, they will tell you that the medicals there total nearer 1500. I thkn SAFE MMA offer good value on that!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJunior View Post
    No that cost is not just for the bloods. There is a cost per screening of blood disease, plus the administrative costs of collating the results with the software and also the results of the medicals that will be carried out by GPs. Also factor in the development of the medical assessment packs that have been designed by a leading sports Professor which are sent out to the fighter's GP. Add to that, the reports from the pre and post fight medicals that are done on the day, the initial entry of all the relevant details to enlist a fighter. I have probably missed something in my rush to type this.
    For those guys that have fought at the UFC, they will tell you that the medicals there total nearer 1500. I thkn SAFE MMA offer good value on that!
    Is this only for Pro UK fighters?

It says that you pay the GP and the GP pays the Company? Are all GP's aware of this arrangement?

Whilst it seems a good idea it kinda creates a 'them and 'us' mentality as potentially a Company like Cagewarriors/BAMMA/UCMMA will be paying the same price as a smaller regional show who may be struggling financially anyway. Most potentially would want to join but when you factor all the hassle in and the financial impact them most would decide to opt out.

Arn't blood tests free through your GP if you have a concern or you say you had a one night stand? and if Promoters of smaller shows are providing Doctors and Paramedics on the night who carry out pre fight medicals and can advise post fight then that is covering the basics with little charge.

How or where do the blood tests occur? If it is London then what if I had to travel from Newcastle, Edinburgh or Glasgow to do that (another cost)

Why do Gyms need to pay if their fighters are covered individually? Cant see the benefit of that for the gym and yet another cost
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by jim2007 View Post

How or where do the blood tests occur? If it is London then what if I had to travel from Newcastle, Edinburgh or Glasgow to do that (another cost)
    Your GP does the blood tests and sends them to SAFE MMA
    For your MMA Fix, Don't Hit the Pit anymore coz its shut