Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SAFE MMA - backed by BAMMA, CWFC and UCMMA

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Chris - I haven't, personally, seen the medical forms. I'll raise the issue, along with your other questions.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom666 View Post
    Any moves towards regulation sound great, so this has got to be a positive thing.

Just out of interest though, have there ever been any known cases of any fighters contracting HIV or any blood borne diseases as a result of an MMA fight?

Also, people drawing comparisons between Boxing and MMA, don't really work. I think the pro medicals/license for boxing is around the 700 mark, but this includes all brain scans etc as well as bloods. However, A friend of mine recently earned 2700 for his 3rd pro boxing fight, another mate got just under 1000 for his pro debut. I got 350 for my 3rd pro mma fight!

Really?

I know several pro boxers and they have to shift at least 50 tickets to make 250 purse, so unless a pro boxer has some serious amateur honours, or is an aspiring heavyweight, then I'd say your mates are extremely lucky to say the least. On the other hand I know a pro boxer that can make 70grand a year as a journeyman, expecting to get beat.

I'm quite a skeptic about this whole governing body thing, although I do see it as a positive for the sport I'd like to ask people's opinions on:

1) Will it be viable for smaller promotions

2) Like pro boxing, won't fighters just compete 'unlicensed' ?

3) If a licensed pro competes unlicensed then what will happen to him? Will he lose his license? Will other safe mma promoters then stop using that fighter? Seriously??

4) Will safe mma be touting to the media to get them to only cover safe mma licensed events?

5) Will safe mma encourage the main player, UFC, to only recruit UK fighters that are safe mma / immaf licensed?

6) Who else can see this as the start of a lot more 'bodies' sprouting up? The kickboxing bodies like iska, et, already offered a form of regulation of events, but very few people chose to go that way. Why I wonder. I know there's an opinion of 'the kickboxing people trying to cash in' but that's irrelevant, everyone is cashing in to some degree, even immaf/safe mma.

7) How is the whole safe mma going to be enforced? Regional committees/councils? As a single office system does not work. Will supervisors be present?

I'm of the opinion that MMA promoters should always have to anawer to a regulatory body or else they do what they please. Just like when they give out meaningless British/European titles to who they think.

Let's hope Safe MMA, or whoever can organise a proper structure whereby its attractive for all to join, and will ensure safe standards and proper regulation of the sport.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Have a look at the Q&A - http://www.76harleystreet.com/images...2022-10-12.pdf and see if that helps with any of your questions.

As for we'll have a whole bunch of other "bodies" sprouting up - well, if they can get Cagewarriors, UCMMA and BAMMA in the same room working on the project, then good luck to them! The credibility for Safe MMA really does lie in the people involved.

I'd also like to emphasise that safe mma is NOT a governing body and has no plans to "regulate" the sport.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Last edited by jim2007; 28-10-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: duplicate post
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

So just to confirm no SafeMMA fighters will be able to fight on any show that is not a part of SafeMMA?

If a Gym is registered for SafeMMA does that automatically mean that all Pro fighters that train at that Gym would have to be signed up for SafeMMA?

Likewise, Promotions either are IN or OUT and either have to use ALL fighters from the Pool in SafeMMA or outwith? What about say for example most of Cagewarriors fighters will be signed exclusively so automatically that pool of fighters will be unavailable to other Promoters who want to sign up? same for BAMMA and UCMMA where there will be restrictions.

Personally I would have thought that some kind of tiered system should have been introduced at this initial stage to get more people involved and that would mean a sliding scale or even offer an exclusive rate for anyone that signs up within the first month. That would encourage as many as possible to sign up as I reckon there will be a load who will be sitting on the fence to see how it pans out and therefore leaving the idea of joining less appealable. If 75% of people were signed up in the first month then it would give the minority a reason to sign up. Just my thoughts.

Lets remember here even if they did it at total cost price which is probably half then they would still be able to charge the amount they are asking for now for next year and most fighters, gyms and promoters would already be onboard and sold the idea.

Another thing to point out is that most businesses don't see a return in the first year or 2 anyway, not that it should be relevant if they are a non profit business etc
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    Have a look at the Q&A - http://www.76harleystreet.com/images...2022-10-12.pdf and see if that helps with any of your questions.

As for we'll have a whole bunch of other "bodies" sprouting up - well, if they can get Cagewarriors, UCMMA and BAMMA in the same room working on the project, then good luck to them! The credibility for Safe MMA really does lie in the people involved.

I'd also like to emphasise that safe mma is NOT a governing body and has no plans to "regulate" the sport.

I have not had a proper chance to look up the Q+A's as in a very limited net connection area til next week. Maybe I've got it wrong but it just seemed like they were trying to regulate the safety side of the sport, maybe not the sport

And as far as getting those others onboard then I'm sure they'd agree to any safety policies providing it was in the fighter's interest and cost effective.

Can I ask, in short what is the goal of Safe MMA?

And will SaMA be looking to align itself with a UK MMA governing body in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimDavy View Post
    I have not had a proper chance to look up the Q+A's as in a very limited net connection area til next week. Maybe I've got it wrong but it just seemed like they were trying to regulate the safety side of the sport, maybe not the sport

And as far as getting those others onboard then I'm sure they'd agree to any safety policies providing it was in the fighter's interest and cost effective.

Can I ask, in short what is the goal of Safe MMA?

And will SaMA be looking to align itself with a UK MMA governing body in the future?
    The reason I ask about the UK Governing Body is that there's whispers that a new body will be formed to rival the IMMAF here in the UK. Makes me wonder if each have anything to do with the other (safe mma + new body) ??

How anyone can see this as a negative is beyond me.

Massive well done to everyone who got this ball rolling, Im sure it wasnt easy.

Some professional fighters need to realize if you want to fight in the states etc you have to pay for all your medicals/MRI/Eye tests out of your own money and it isn't cheap (One fighter i know paid over 700). This is a big step in the right direction.
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

Thats the thing, people who are being negative about this before it even starts - its not compulsory, so if you dont like it, just sit back and see how it goes before making judgement anyway, at least people are finally coming together to get things off the ground in UK MMA.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.