Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SAFE MMA - backed by BAMMA, CWFC and UCMMA

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    This is a huge step forward, and one that many people thought would never happen in the UK. A lot of people have put a lot of work into making this happen - don't underestimate the challenges involved!

It's good for fighters, and will help the reputation of the sport as a whole.

As for costs - Safe MMA is non-profit, and accounts will be published and available to the public. Before my last fight, I paid 123 for blood tests (lab fee only) that were valid for 6 months. So it sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    What was your fight purse?

Im going to marinate on this over night and return.

The IMMAF stood up well when challenged and did everything they said they would do which is why I support them 100%.

I hope that SafeMMA too can offer the same robust response in the face of questions that need to be answered.

If they can I personally will offer my support.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS ZORBA View Post
    Very positive day for UK MMA. I will be signing up for this immediately.
    excellent news Chris
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Quote Originally Posted by BakedBean View Post

The IMMAF stood up well when challenged and did everything they said they would do which is why I support them 100%.

I hope that SafeMMA too can offer the same robust response in the face of questions that need to be answered.

SafeMMA and the IMMAF/UKMMAF are on the same team so to speak, not pressing for different things as you can tell my some of the reps on board. The IMMAF will use what SafeMMA are doing as part of their progression.

That sum for a pro fighter for the whole year isn't that much I don't think. You're looking at three times that (minimum) for a pro boxing license according to guys I know that have got them recently.

Quote Originally Posted by manimal View Post
    Sounds like a positive step forward.
    Will the tests pick up on any brain injuries? I've read up on the dangers of multiple concussion on Google Scholar recently and it's pretty scary stuff
    The cognitive tests that will be performed by a GP are in place to help spot such issues. The fact that strict suspension are in place will also go a long way to preventing fighters taking further damage when concussed. Glad to learn of your support.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Not quite sure how to respond to this as it almost indicates that SAFE MMA should be preparing for a beat down. That said, none of the members are naive and are quite aware of how exciting and also ground breaking this is. SAFE MMA and the UKMMAF have been side by side the whole time with this. Marc and Rosi sit on both boards and are fundamental member to both. SAFE MMA would like everyone to support this which is why it has been put together and considered from every angle; fan, promoter, doctor, coach and most importantly fighter. The Q&A document really is comprehensive, so please chew that over and come back to us with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    SafeMMA and the IMMAF/UKMMAF are on the same team so to speak, not pressing for different things as you can tell my some of the reps on board. The IMMAF will use what SafeMMA are doing as part of their progression.

That sum for a pro fighter for the whole year isn't that much I don't think. You're looking at three times that (minimum) for a pro boxing license according to guys I know that have got them recently.
    Good point Jay. the cost of medical deductions at the UFC is pretty horrible too!

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

What was your fight purse?
    I don't think I'm at liberty to disclose that, but I don't think it's really relevant.

If you can't afford basic blood tests to assure your opponent you don't have any blood borne diseases, then you can't afford to fight!
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

I don't think I'm at liberty to disclose that,
    You either are or you are not, you either want to or do not.

but I don't think it's really relevant.
    Until all the member promotions agree to a minimum wage and multi fight contracts id say it is very relevant.

If you can't afford basic blood tests to assure your opponent you don't have any blood borne diseases, then you can't afford to fight!
    You can , you just cant afford to fight on a regulated show but im sure Mark Carling will let you beat some homeless guy up on his.

Regardless I dont want to argue with you as I have too much respect for you and the fact you are involved and defending the scheme gives me much greater confidence.
    Im going to take some more time to thoroughly examine the paperwork and then post my questions.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

You either are or you are not, you either want to or do not.
    Well, I don't have my contract to hand and I'm not about to go looking for it.

Until all the member promotions agree to a minimum wage and multi fight contracts id say it is very relevant.
    If fighters find it's no longer worth their while fighting on a particular show, then no doubt economic pressures will force that show to raise their purses.

You can , you just cant afford to fight on a regulated show but im sure Mark Carling will let you beat some homeless guy up on his.
    No doubt there will still be shows with a lower standard of fighter safety. Or you could go and pick a fight outside your local pub. If, on the other hand, you want to fight on a reputable show where you know your opponent isn't going to infect you with HIV....

I hope you find the answers you're looking for. If not, I'm sure there will be plenty of people happy to help you out
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation