Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: SAFE MMA - backed by BAMMA, CWFC and UCMMA

Good news on the whole for the British MMA scene.

it's about time.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Great idea, but where is all the money coming from?

As a promoter I need to pay 600 for access to a database of approved fighters (most of whom will be signed up to the aforementioned big promotions) which will severely restrict my available fighters (its hard enough now to get good match ups)
    As a Gym as well I pay another 240 for?
    The fighters now need to pay out an extra 235+GP medicals(??) per year, if they fight twice they will want an extra 150 to cover this on their purses on my promotion, so if I have 6 pro fights on my card, thats 12 fighters all wanting an extra 150 = 1800
    So that's an extra 2,640 I need to find from the spectators/advertisers.. how long do I have to wait before they all come running in with there money because its now mainstream and acceptable?
    Sorry, its been a long week and I'm feeling cynical, I'm all for the principle but the practicalities come first.

Answers on a postcard

what happens in the US with the small amateur shows? Do they follow this set agenda too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post

As a promoter I need to pay 600 for access to a database of approved fighters (most of whom will be signed up to the aforementioned big promotions) which will severely restrict my available fighters (its hard enough now to get good match ups)
    The fighters now need to pay out an extra 235+GP medicals(??) per year, if they fight twice they will want an extra 150 to cover this on their purses on my promotion, so if I have 6 pro fights on my card, thats 12 fighters all wanting an extra 150 = 1800
    So that's an extra 2,640 I need to find from the spectators/advertisers.. how long do I have to wait before they all come running in with there money because its now mainstream and acceptable?
    Sorry, its been a long week and I'm feeling cynical, I'm all for the principle but the practicalities come first.

Answers on a postcard
    I think a good idea would be for the members on the board to be available to prospective Promotions/Gyms/Fighter Managers to run test cases on their individual requirements and to see what impact it would make for them.

I think it sounds alot of work and money to people yet if things were a little clearer like the members could work it out for them then they would be better placed to make a decision.
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Firstly had I of known that Mark Goddard and Rosi Sexton where involved from the beginning my initial approach would not have been so aggressive but that aside there are many questions that need to be asked.

Let me state that this is extremely positive and is a huge step in the right direction but somethings need to be ironed out because they appear to have been rushed.

For example they have given fighters 2 months before Christmas to join before they will become ineligible to fight on all of the top promotions but as yet there are no statements from the promoters to say how they will help fighters selected on their cards comply.
    The local shows will be crippled for a period as they will be unable to join for fear of losing most of their cards as many of them only have 1-2-3-4 significant fights and the rest are ticket sellers to make them viable.

The UFC invested heavily and lost millions to grow the sport and they did it because they knew they would be the ones to make Billions in the future.

Our promoters should learn from this and if they truly believe in this then they need to demonstrate it by helping.

With regards to transparent finance, the accounts filed on companies house are not transparent.
    They will not show the names of suppliers and how much those suppliers have been paid to enable those transactions to be scrutinized.

I sent an email to the press enquiry email box yesterday requesting a simple piece of information to enable me to research further.
    I have had no response, lets see how long it takes.

Another thing I am not quite clear on is the fact that this is NOT a governing body but we do have a governing body who is a member of the IMMAF that is going to be charging people money for membership so surely this is something that should be encompassed into that rather than a separate entity?
    I would understand if it was unrelated but Rosi and Mark are involved with both so why keep the two entity's separate?
    Does not make sense.

Many people appear to be giving this the stamp of approval without reading all the documents, i have read some three times and I still need to read them a couple more times.

My advise to everybody is give it a chance, read everything and ask questions when you have all your answers make your decision.

Just so we are clear, I personally will not accept any scripted generic PR responses to specific questions and nobody else should either so if any PR person just happens to be reading this and receives an email from me then it is better you maintain your policy of not responding to my emails than insult me with nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post

Answers on a postcard

I am afraid that is a small price to pay for greatly increasing the safety of your fighters. A pro fighter should (barring injuries) fight 3- 5 times a year.

If you read the SAFE MMA literature there is a good chance the cost of 235 (plus GP fee) will decrease in the future as more fighters sign up for SAFE MMA.

Promoters who only pay 150- 200 for a pro fighter probably have no respect for what they do or their safety . In turn will be reluctant to join SAFE MMA and have no place in the sport in my opinion.

BTW Mad Dog Im not directing this at you just using your costing argument as a yard stick for some of the many promotions.

Oh and lastly I would expect something like this to be phased over at least a 12 month period to enable all the smaller shows, gyms and fighters to prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS ZORBA View Post

Promoters who only pay 150- 200 for a pro fighter probably have no respect for what they do or their safety
    Whilst I appreciate that there has to be a clear divide between shit and sugar, hell I live to make that clear, Im not sure that statement is going to help SafeMMA at this stage.

(by the way I have always placed you in the Sugar catagory)

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

I would understand if it was unrelated but Rosi and Mark are involved with both so why keep the two entity's separate?
    SAFE MMA is currently ready to go - and believe me, the process has taken a long time and many meetings to work out the details. A functioning governing body will take considerably longer, and there are many more issues to address. As you say yourself, it's important not to rush these things.

The two entities will, when up and running, be working together.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Oh and lastly I would expect something like this to be phased over at least a 12 month period to enable all the smaller shows, gyms and fighters to prepare.
    Remember that the scheme is voluntary. Promoters are under no obligation to sign up to it. Although quite a few shows have already announced their support, and we hope that more will follow, please recognise that nobody is being forced to join straight away. If smaller shows wish to take more time to prepare themselves to sign on to SAFE MMA, they are at liberty to do that!
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation