Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK MMA Rankings - October 2012

Hybrid View

Default UK MMA Rankings - October 2012

Wow, well let's just say this month was a pretty (monu)mental one:

http://www.yourmma.tv/rankings/detai...tober-2012.htm

Lots of big names out with inactivity or retirement, lots of ranked guys beaten by previously unranked guys, and overall some amazing fights and results for us to ponder!

WW and MW go up to 30 - those divisions are so deep now. 170lbs always has been mut middleweight is really coming through.

How has Jason Ball moved up the rankings??
    Hasnt won a fight since Bamma 5 and been boxing since the Colin Fletcher fight.

Thought philpott wudda went higher than that afterbeatin edwards th way he did
    Liam Bad Intentions James, pro mma uk featherweight!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simba84 View Post
    Thought philpott wudda went higher than that afterbeatin edwards th way he did
    To say this time last week he wasn't ranked at all I don't think he can be too unhappy with #14. Huge performance from him like, very impressive and two wins in a week!

Quote Originally Posted by AllYouNeedIsLove View Post
    How has Jason Ball moved up the rankings??
    Hasnt won a fight since Bamma 5 and been boxing since the Colin Fletcher fight.
    Radcliffe has retired and Joe Duffy hasn't fought for over a year now and is pursuing pro boxing. They were both above him, so by default people have moved up.

wouldnt inactivity have pushed him down the rankings though?

Quote Originally Posted by AllYouNeedIsLove View Post
    wouldnt inactivity have pushed him down the rankings though?
    To a degree, yes, and in months gone by he has, but this month because of the aforementioned exits he's gone up by default as many have. If there are people around you getting wins that are deserving of putting them above you then they will, but hard to argue with Ball's quality, quality of opposition and even performances in defeat (only losing to Winner/Santos/Fletcher). The Fight Stars tourney will clear up a lot of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    To a degree, yes, and in months gone by he has, but this month because of the aforementioned exits he's gone up by default as many have. If there are people around you getting wins that are deserving of putting them above you then they will, but hard to argue with Ball's quality, quality of opposition and even performances in defeat (only losing to Winner/Santos/Fletcher). The Fight Stars tourney will clear up a lot of this.
    Wish I was going over to that should be an absolute cracker.....
    Im not arguing with the rankings that just confused me haha.
    Wouldnt mind having Jason on Cage Fury next year

FW - I can't understand why Ash Grimshaw is ranked that highly. No idea. Hill should be above him at least. Josh Ramage at 28, beaten by Dean Reilly who has fought top competition since and is not ranked. Jay I think you should be above Cullen.

LW - Brendan Loughnane in at 29. He is 5-0 against guys with a combined record of 14-39. There are more deserving guys of a top 30.

Same with WW. Luke newman is 5-0 and has fought two guys with a positive record. One being Lee Caers who at 8-2 has fought the same guy 3 times and NONE of his wins have positive records. Mok Rahman - lost to very good opposition, but again hasn't recorded notable wins. More deserving guys.

Although this is just my humble opinion

Question for Jay and the team - Fighter A beats fighter B. Fighter A then loses two in a row against high level opposition, meanwhile fighter B fights three bums and wins. Who is ranked higher, A or B?
    I would ban the triangle choke, the refuge of cowards everywhere.

FW - I can't understand why Ash Grimshaw is ranked that highly. No idea. Hill should be above him at least. Josh Ramage at 28, beaten by Dean Reilly who has fought top competition since and is not ranked. Jay I think you should be above Cullen.
    He beat Reed, got two decent wins in CW and the losses to Turner and Hill were both REALLY close, like really close. At the time I thought Grimshaw had won the fight they had, but I wasn't judging. Hill went on to lose three of his next four, granted against very good opposition. Tough one that.

If Dean is not ranked then it's because he's been stopped three times in a row but I actually thought he was to be fair. I'll have a look at that. As for me....I try to stay out of the bottom end of the featherweight discussions as much as possible for obvious reasons.

LW - Brendan Loughnane in at 29. He is 5-0 against guys with a combined record of 14-39. There are more deserving guys of a top 30.
    True, and I'm actually very vigilant with stuff like this, but he just beat a 5-0 guy on TUF and there was a demand for him to be in there. No point having a panel if you don't take them on board
    Same with WW. Luke newman is 5-0 and has fought two guys with a positive record. One being Lee Caers who at 8-2 has fought the same guy 3 times and NONE of his wins have positive records. Mok Rahman - lost to very good opposition, but again hasn't recorded notable wins. More deserving guys.
    Agree that those mentioned don't have many stellar victories on their records, but who else would go in? They're definitely good fighters. Caers just beat Reed this weekend at CWFC and he's a very tough dude.

Question for Jay and the team - Fighter A beats fighter B. Fighter A then loses two in a row against high level opposition, meanwhile fighter B fights three bums and wins. Who is ranked higher, A or B?
    Answer is, it depends. My instinct would be to 'reward' the fighter taking tough fights to a degree, but there's many facets to that and it's obviously not that simple.

At most there are a very small handful of issues that arise every month, and when you've got 200 fighters ranked I'd say that's a pretty good ratio
    Last edited by Jay; 31-10-2012 at 05:40 PM.

pleased to be still in the top 5 due to not having a fight in nearly 6 months due to a stupid cut ,,wich is the longest i have ever went since my first ever amature kickboxing bout ,,,,, obv i would have to check with my manager first ,but im up for fighting any of the guys just above or just below me to defend / move up the rankings,,, prob looking mid dec early start next year
    Mark Platts Fly/bantamweight 10/7/0