Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighter Opinion: Safe MMA

It would work by Standing Order though:

Difference from direct debit

Standing orders are distinct from direct debits; both are methods of setting up repeated transfers of money from one account to another, but they operate in different ways. The fundamental difference is that standing orders send payments arranged by the payer, while direct debits are specified and collected by the payee.

A standing order can only be set up and modified by the payer, and is for amounts specified by the payer to be paid at specified times (usually a fixed amount at a specified interval).

So you as the fighter (payer) are entering into a contracted agreement for the service. If you don't pay then you get taken to court just like you would if you defaulted on a loan

Trust me it is the way forward!
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Again playing devils advocate - during the first year will they want to be chasing fighters through court for small payments, it will cost more time and effort than the money will be worth chasing. I think once its established that may work but noting as well its mainly the biggest players in UK MMA at the start getting onboard, maybe anyone who wants to fight at that level should be aware that it may cost them a one off fee up front, hopefully sponsors etc may help on this front, maybe contracts can be negotiated that if fighter X fights X amount of fights within the org in say 12 months, then the org will pick up the tab/refund the cost - works well then - kind of keeps the fighter within the org which helps the org if said fighter does well - they can market him and so on - which benefits both parties , plus the fighter has fight commitments and knows that bill will be taken care of.. I dunno,maybe I am just rambling now
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Its a good idea but where am i supposed to get 200 odd quid from when my job is fighting n the pay aint a lot am barely able to scrape by by doin privates n stuff and ano a lot of other fighters in same boat as me a dunno how itd work coz a couldnt just take that much outta 1 fight purse there needs to b another way ie monthly payments or sumit like that
    Liam Bad Intentions James, pro mma uk featherweight!!

Liam, totally understand where you are coming from and I think this is where the initial pains of this will be, not sure what the solution would be but I think the monthly payments etc leaves it wide open for abuse and could create more hassle in chasing payments etc. I have no idea how fighter contracts work in all honesty - do you dudes sign exclusive / guaranteed X amount of fights type contracts with the main promotions or is it simply a fight to fight basis even with UCMMA CW etc?

A dunno about others but im signed exclusive to cagewarriors for 5 fights my wages r set and wen i 1st fought on cagewarriors in april i had to get my bloods taken off my gp so that i could fight so i dont know where that puts me i will more than likely have to speak to graham n ian about it but like i say its defo a step in the right direction
    Liam Bad Intentions James, pro mma uk featherweight!!

Well maybe if its a five fight deal, they could possibly work something in that the cost of it is deducted over the course of the first 3 fights or something? (I say 3 not 5 because again, guessing here, but do contracts get renegotiated nearer the end of them?) If the major orgs could do that to further assist with their backing of the whole thing anyway, it would be a good thing.

I am sure it will all figure itself out, there will be growing pains / getting used to it pains or whatever you want to call it, but its a step in the direction to further get this sport taken seriously by the general public and press, which I can only commend.

Anyway, feel like I have been serious on too many posts today so let me finish by just saying Boobies.

Ahh thats better.

At the end of the day its something that is here and from 2013 if you wanna fight on the top shows u have to pay 200+, ye its not ideal but if it means you can do what u love (fighting) and make money that year (purses) then your gonna find the money whether u borrow it or whatever its just another cost to a fighter like equipment, supplements, travel etc.

pretty blunt but it is what it is.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion"
    Muhammad Ali

TEAM KAOBON RULEZ-MMA/Muay Thai/Luta Livre

www.kaobon.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Brazilian View Post
    At the end of the day its something that is here and from 2013 if you wanna fight on the top shows u have to pay 200+, ye its not ideal but if it means you can do what u love (fighting) and make money that year (purses) then your gonna find the money whether u borrow it or whatever its just another cost to a fighter like equipment, supplements, travel etc.

pretty blunt but it is what it is.
    From what you said though its ridiculous!! This is a voluntary program as Rosi said but the way you put it is practically blackmail. Either you cough up the money or you don't fight on a top show? For fighters like Liam who have already expressed their concern into not having a second income you may as well tell him to sort out a fight on this weekends card at the local working mans club in South Shields.

I would have thought that if you are not contracted to fight on a safe mma show you don't sign up yourself.
    when you get a chance at a bigger show then that's when you spend the money.

All the shows I work on have mostly amateur bouts with one or two pro's at the top of the card, they are not going to sign up to this until they have no option.

If and when these shows are targeted, and let's face it we are talking about 95% of the shows in the uk, then things will need to be different. Promotions that have attendances of 500-600 won't be able to afford this, if not financially then by limiting the available fighters.

Dont get me wrong I think this has been a long time coming and is a massive step forward, it is however the first small step and at the moment will only affect the people

Good luck to all involved

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    From what you said though its ridiculous!! This is a voluntary program as Rosi said but the way you put it is practically blackmail. Either you cough up the money or you don't fight on a top show? For fighters like Liam who have already expressed their concern into not having a second income you may as well tell him to sort out a fight on this weekends card at the local working mans club in South Shields.
    Who am i to blackmail? im no part of it, but what im saying is all the top shows have signed up to it already so if we want to fight on them there isnt really a choice, so in that sense its not strictly voluntary, trust me i think its a bit over priced and would prefer to pay less myself but i cant see that happening.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion"
    Muhammad Ali

TEAM KAOBON RULEZ-MMA/Muay Thai/Luta Livre

www.kaobon.com