Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighter Opinion: Safe MMA

I wasn't saying you we're blackmailing them I just meant you made it sound like blackmail and I agree, it makes it sound like you've no choice. Will Cagewarriors and BAMMA be using this then for the December shows? Just wondering.

Ah ok, ye i think thats how it is, and no it's starts in January I think.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion"
    Muhammad Ali

TEAM KAOBON RULEZ-MMA/Muay Thai/Luta Livre

www.kaobon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Well maybe if its a five fight deal, they could possibly work something in that the cost of it is deducted over the course of the first 3 fights or something? (I say 3 not 5 because again, guessing here, but do contracts get renegotiated nearer the end of them?) If the major orgs could do that to further assist with their backing of the whole thing anyway, it would be a good thing.

I am sure it will all figure itself out, there will be growing pains / getting used to it pains or whatever you want to call it, but its a step in the direction to further get this sport taken seriously by the general public and press, which I can only commend.

Anyway, feel like I have been serious on too many posts today so let me finish by just saying Boobies.

Ahh thats better.
    That would be more time consuming and harder to track than a few missed payments.

It is relativly easy if they had onside a law firm who would deal with small claims and pretty sure a company like them would know of a few who may be able to help out. End of the day the type of people that will be signing up will be professionals that respect MMA and who want to be on the big shows. It wouldn't make sense for someone to sign up then screw them over as they would not be able to fight again if their payments were not up to date.

In any business there is a thing called 'wasteage' which is when you lose money due to whatever reason but it is expected or should be expected. Those small % would fall into that bracket.

If 80% of Pro UK fighters signed up then they would by far be in a decent position to take any offset or hit from any loss or inconvenience
    Last edited by jim2007; 01-11-2012 at 08:36 PM.
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Whats with the hate for working mens clubs in Shields? Lol
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Hahahah there's not hate bro I quite enjoy a night out in the Shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    From what you said though its ridiculous!! This is a voluntary program as Rosi said but the way you put it is practically blackmail. Either you cough up the money or you don't fight on a top show?
    That's not blackmail at all. It's 'show us you're safe to fight and you can fight'. A pro boxer wouldn't call blackmail for having to get his medicals done. At least pro MMA fighters here will still be able to get fights without it on the smaller shows that don't sign up, but if you want to be a professional and fight on the best shows, then BE a professional and do your best to look after your assets (yourself).

As for guys fighting full-time, that must be damn hard work. I know there's no feasible way I could do it apart from moving back in with my parents or going on the rock and roll. Or selling drugs/my body. So I do what I can when I can. Props to the guys that make it work and struggle by, but realistically there isn't enough money in MMA domestically to be a full-time pro unless you're in the UFC or running/coaching at a successful gym etc (whch blurs the lines of full-time pro fighter if you're actually running a business). Call it four fights a year, if you come out with 4k you're doing very well for UK shows, but that's just not enough unless you've got other 'endeavours' on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumac View Post
    I would have thought that if you are not contracted to fight on a safe mma show you don't sign up yourself.
    when you get a chance at a bigger show then that's when you spend the money.

All the shows I work on have mostly amateur bouts with one or two pro's at the top of the card, they are not going to sign up to this until they have no option.

If and when these shows are targeted, and let's face it we are talking about 95% of the shows in the uk, then things will need to be different. Promotions that have attendances of 500-600 won't be able to afford this, if not financially then by limiting the available fighters.

Dont get me wrong I think this has been a long time coming and is a massive step forward, it is however the first small step and at the moment will only affect the people

Good luck to all involved
    See my show is within the 95% bracket you mention and I see this another way, I am waiting to see how big the ammy talent pool will be after a year or so I mean I can see some big gyms getting the fighters signed up but not all gyms. End of the day though this isn't a governing body so they won't force anyone to join a promoter just gets the risk of being left behind.

I understand what you're saying mate but how many of these top shows are solely responsible for all of Britains top fighters getting to the UFC? Some of them have fought on them a couple of times but the majority were on these smaller shows. I can only think of Manuwa and Sass if OMMAC have indeed signed up.

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    Hahahah there's not hate bro I quite enjoy a night out in the Shields.
    Lol (10 characters)
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Personally i think it's a great thing and will be signing up as soon as i can get the cash together.

Was unable to travel down to London for the conference yesterday due to prior commitments so this may have been covered there and if i has i apologise but the one thing that could pose a problem IMO is if someone who is a full time fighter and contracted to one of the shows that have signed up. If they are not financially able to afford the cash to pay for SAFEMMA what would happen to their contract? Would their career be put on hold? Would the contract be null and void? Was the possibility of SAFEMMA becoming a reality placed in their contract when they first signed?

Again i was unable to make it down and may have been covered in yesterdays meeting was just something i was curious about.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency