Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: Fighter Opinion: Safe MMA

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    I suspect as a result of this, we'll start seeing a greater separation between amateur and pro. There'll probably be more amateur only events, and maybe some fighters won't be so quick to jump on the pro bandwagon without getting experience at amateur first. I think that's a good thing.
    Agreed Rosi probs a good thing.
    Most of the top fight ammy shows only have one pro fight and they are not vital to the shows anyway

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouNeedIsLove View Post
    Agreed Rosi probs a good thing.
    Most of the top fight ammy shows only have one pro fight and they are not vital to the shows anyway
    ...and now more shows are using the proper kind of amateur MMA, you get better fights and a truer sense of the sport.

    However, if you're an all-ammy show and you're not paying anyone (apart from a ticket deal) then are you justified in charging the same prices as shows with a good chunk of professional fighters to cater for in their outgoings? I'd say no, but obviously no promoter wants to drop their ticket price.

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    ...and now more shows are using the proper kind of amateur MMA, you get better fights and a truer sense of the sport.

    However, if you're an all-ammy show and you're not paying anyone (apart from a ticket deal) then are you justified in charging the same prices as shows with a good chunk of professional fighters to cater for in their outgoings? I'd say no, but obviously no promoter wants to drop their ticket price.
    Look at it this way though, the costs of doing an ammy show are still high with the cost of cage, venue, sanctioning, refs, judges, trophies, marketing, security, printing etc etc. I dont do shows to make a HUGE profit and trust me even on a crowed of just shy of 500 i dont make any kind of profit that some of the shows do.
    I understand what you are saying and I agree but even a drop by 5 per ticket could make a massive impact on the show(s)

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouNeedIsLove View Post
    Look at it this way though, the costs of doing an ammy show are still high with the cost of cage, venue, sanctioning, refs, judges, trophies, marketing, security, printing etc etc. I dont do shows to make a HUGE profit and trust me even on a crowed of just shy of 500 i dont make any kind of profit that some of the shows do.
    I understand what you are saying and I agree but even a drop by 5 per ticket could make a massive impact on the show(s)
    Yep and the stress and work is exactly the same. Maybe even more so with a higher percentage of late pull out for amateur guys...

  5. #45

    Default

    say I charged 15 a ticket and then had to take off the commision so call it 10 per ticket and get a crowed of 400 thats a 4000 gate, take off the cage, security, judges, refs alone that takes it down to 2300 then take off the venue, medics and doctor that brings it down to 1300, next take off the sanctioning, trophies, print/design thats down to 500 now from that 500 we have to take off any purses, travel, hotels, ring girls, water/fruit for fighters and were into the minus.

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    A cross section of UK MMA fighter shared their thoughts with us on the unveiling of Safe MMA. Some aren't totally sold, but everybody is in agreement that it's a step that's needed for the advancement of the scene e.g.:



    http://www.yourmma.tv/news/details.a...n-safe-mma.htm

    Positive read ahead of tonight's meeting in London.
    Great article Jay

  7. #47

    Default

    Promoters - think of it from a liability point of view as well. Marc Goddard made a great point yesterday at the meeting - Let's say you get a pull out and need a late replacement to save you show. You ring up a guy who you know will take a fight on a day/few hour's notice..lets call him, um, Pike Mersil for the sake of argument. This guy gets knocked out on your show and, god forbid, the worst happens.

    You'll likely end up in a court of law under close scrutiny. What did you do to ensure this man was fit to compete? What steps did you take to ensure he was healthy before putting him in harms way? "I got his number off a mate and chucked him 300 on four hours notice" isn't a good answer for you, or the sport.

    With Safe MMA, any fighter you use will have had a medical exam and blood tests. You'll know when their last fight was, and that they have been 'green lit' to compete since that fight. You wont run the risk of having a guy on your show who was knocked out the week, or night, before.

    As a promoter your first concern should be fighter safety, I don't think anyone will dispute that. But being part of Safe MMA also should also give you piece of mind if you're put under scrutiny should something bad happen, that you've taken reasonable steps. You'll also have the backing of medical experts to confirm this.
    Last edited by brashleyholland; 02-11-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brashleyholland View Post
    Promoters - think of it from a liability point of view as well. Marc Goddard made a great point yesterday at the meeting - Let's say you get a pull out and need a late replacement to save you show. You ring up a guy who you know will take a fight on a day/few hour's notice..lets call him, um, Pike Mersil for the sake of argument. This guy gets knocked out on your show and, god forbid, the worst happens.

    You'll likely end up in a court of law under close scrutiny. What did you do to ensure this man was fit to compete? What steps did you take to ensure he was healthy before putting him in harms way? "I got his number off a mate and chucked him 300 on four hours notice" isn't a good answer for you, or the sport.

    With Safe MMA, any fighter you use will have had a medical exam and blood tests. You'll know when their last fight was, and that they have been 'green lit' to compete since that fight. You wont run the risk of having a guy on your show who was knocked out the week, or night, before.

    As a promoter your first concern should be fighter safety, I don't think anyone will dispute that. But being part of Safe MMA also should also give you piece of mind if you're put under scrutiny should something bad happen, that you've taken reasonable steps. You'll also have the backing of medical experts to confirm this.

    I get all that BUT how many ammy guys will sign up in the next 6 months? Its something I need to keep an eye on as do the other ammy show promoters I mean alot of the shows.promoters im friends with like me use alot of the same gyms so we all need to see if they are going to sign up before we as promoters commit

  9. #49
    I'm Spartacus! jim2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Clydebank
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    Does anyone know how long it takes from registering and paying to be fully affiliated?

    So say for example UCMMA have a pull out from their main event and their 0-6 guy can't fight anymore and they have searched the SafeMMA database and there is no-one there who fits the criteria they are looking for. They identify Fighter A but he isn't a member of the scheme. How long does it take SafeMMA to get him registered as the show depends on it and it wouldn't be fair for the opponent not to have a fight.
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brashleyholland View Post
    With Safe MMA, any fighter you use will have had a medical exam and blood tests. You'll know when their last fight was, and that they have been 'green lit' to compete since that fight. You wont run the risk of having a guy on your show who was knocked out the week, or night, before.
    Admittedly I haven't read all the information about this yet but if a fighter is knocked out on a show signed up with Safe MMA, does this mean he/she cannot compete on another Safe MMA show within an alloted time? It has always been a major concern for me that a fighter could suffer a bad knockout and fight again the following weekend. If Safe MMA can sort that out, it will be a major plus.

    Overall, this looks very positive. The cost of someone being severely hurt on a UK show will be far more than the cost of signing up to Safe MMA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.