Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighter Opinion: Safe MMA

Default Fighter Opinion: Safe MMA

A cross section of UK MMA fighter shared their thoughts with us on the unveiling of Safe MMA. Some aren't totally sold, but everybody is in agreement that it's a step that's needed for the advancement of the scene e.g.:

Chris Stringer, Northern Ireland

To be honest I think it's good and bad. It's great that things like this are starting to be put into place. However, as a pro fighter myself, 200+ is decent amount of your paycheck, so I think a lot of fighters will struggle to keep paying it. But it's a great idea, maybe fighters could get some backing for it? It would make me feel safer when I compete though, that's for sure!

Dean Garnett, Liverpool

It's the first step to really legitimising the sport of MMA in the UK and with true professionals like Marc Goddard and Rosi Sexton at the helm it can only be a positive movement for the sport. As a fighter it's a small price to pay for your health and I'm sure everyone who takes the sport seriously will be backing it all the way.
    http://www.yourmma.tv/news/details.a...n-safe-mma.htm

Positive read ahead of tonight's meeting in London.

Interesting thing about that is most of the fighters there are all at the start of their careers (the very people that doubters were speculating as to whether they would be interested) and it looks like they all are....

good stuff

I think its a great thing, the fact the major MMA players in the UK are uniting to do something can never be a bad thing, even if this doesn't work out (which I think and hope it will) its a step in the right direction, the sport needs things like this to grow and be taken more seriously outside the normal fan base.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Pretty much all I have read is really good and hope everyone signs up and it is a success but there is 1 issue that will hold it back.

The thing I would have done differently is in relation to payment for the membership. A one-off payment from fighters will be hard work and it is too much for anyone else to be expected to pay.

If they were able to break down the payment over a period or installments like an agreed direct debit then they would still be guaranteed their money but just not straight away. This would encourage a lot more folk to jump on the bandwagon.

Surely this could still be implemented? I bet it it was you would see at least a 50% increase in signups and once that happens then people will automatically follow suit
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

i think its a good idea but alot of the fighters around do this full time. they dont have full time jobs and im sure that any money they do get from fights they surely dont want to have to commit to making payments out of it. just a thought.
    James MacAlister BW pro 7-2-0 DNFT#1

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Something like a quarterly direct debit might be more attractive and doable for pro fighters, I'm sure that would not be too hard to implement?
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSt.Clair View Post
    Something like a quarterly direct debit might be more attractive and doable for pro fighters, I'm sure that would not be too hard to implement?
    Agree with ya there mate thats a cracking idea...

Would the danger not be fighters paying the first quarter, getting a fight then binning off paying the rest though if they may not fight again that year (just playing devils advocate)
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

exactly. some people fight 5 times a year. some only fight 2 times. i think is a good idea and i like the sound of it. but i cant see it happening to be honest.
    James MacAlister BW pro 7-2-0 DNFT#1

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Would the danger not be fighters paying the first quarter, getting a fight then binning off paying the rest though if they may not fight again that year (just playing devils advocate)
    agreed plus the hassle of chasing mixed payments etc