Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Winkeljohn talks knee joint kicks and JJ's reach

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Default Mike Winkeljohn talks knee joint kicks and JJ's reach

Wink: A great amount of Jon's success is from his proper use of reach. He has only begun to perfect it. Jon's throws and trips make it hard for people to drive him back. We have just begun to increase his ability to fight at greater lengths with the use of front kicks etc. Jon is reading their attacks well and reacting properly which is part of it. We plan on increasing his versatility in the future using more foot work. Length has its disadvantage as well as many holes can be driven through. Look at what Mike Tyson did in boxing and Daniel Cormier has done with heavyweights. Jon has to be extra cautious when people get inside those long arms
    Wink: I definitely have my fighters throw a front kick to the knee. I see it as a very legit technique and not nearly as dangerous as punching or kicking someone in the head. I believe it is starting to add a new dynamic to the game because fighters have to worry about their base being taken out of their attacks even more than before. I also would rather have dinner in twenty years with a fighter who limps into the restaurant than with the fighter who can't remember his own name, because he never stopped his opponent's striking advances. The knee joint is very strong if people know how to defend that kick properly
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/5...ke-winkeljohn-
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

I totally agree with him and people complaining about this should realise that MMA isn't a pillow fight. I'd put heel hooks, twisters and some neck cranks as moves I find more dangerous.

I’m not convinced by his reasoning. You may not want to read all this, that’s ok, it’s not for everyone lol

I definitely have my fighters throw a front kick to the knee. I see it as a very legit technique
    Yes, it is legit, in the sense that it is currently legal.

...and not nearly as dangerous as punching or kicking someone in the head.
    He might be right. But it terms of one-strike effectiveness, if you land one full power punch flush on your intended target area and his chin’s in the air, you are not guaranteed to injure the guy’s brain – but there is a mathematical possibility of a brain injury.

If you land one full power knee joint kick, with the guy’s knee just as you want it for maximum damage (equivalent of getting punched with your chin up in the air), that knee is history. F’kin history.

I believe it is starting to add a new dynamic to the game because fighters have to worry about their base being taken out of their attacks even more than before.
    Yay. Stand up wasn’t exciting enough before

*blank look*

I also would rather have dinner in twenty years with a fighter who limps into the restaurant than with the fighter who can't remember his own name, because he never stopped his opponent's striking advances.
    Of course, who wouldn’t? This is where he really let’s himself down I reckon...

The fighter who had his knee pushed back and irreparably damaged – ask him how it happened. What’s he going to say? ‘I walked into the fight, then he totally blew my knee out in one second and I was stretchered out, my career over’

The fighter with pugilistic dementia, or some form of brain damage... if he is able to respond with any degree of lucidity... he is unlikely to tell you he got super-sparked once and that was it for him. It’s possible I’m sure, but highly unlikely and would be massively unfortunate.

He is more likely to tell you a Gary Goodridge type story, he fought on, feeling ok at the time, but KO after KO... it all caught up with him.

A knee joint retirement could easily be the tale of one strike... a healthy knee destroyed – it could happen to a knackered knee, but the prospect that the knee could potentially go from fine, to mashed up real bad in one second, worries me.

The brain damage retirement is not likely to be caused by one huge punch or kick... it is far more likely to be due to a long, savage accumulation of blows to the head.

The knee joint is very strong if people know how to defend that kick properly
    The jaw is very strong if you block punches? Same reasoning? Equally spurious imo

If this makes no sense and anyone has effective counter-arguments, I'd love to read them
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

wickledick is a moron. Those kicks do nothing but try to jack someones knee.....IMO they are a dirty technique

So who are these people who've had their career one-and-done by a kick to the knee? Has anyone even been seriously injured by one? The idea that you're going to turn someone's leg the wrong way from a single shot is kung-fu flick bullshit.

Heel hooks are a direct attack on the knee, yet many fighters have had horrible, grisly damage from them and gone on to fight and win many more times.

Aren't lateral knee strikes banned in California?
    ''Fren let me tell you, purple must smash people. SMASH THEM...that is hequirement for purple. Purple belt dangerus man, if purple belt cannot smash he not real purple'' - CREONTE
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurning View Post
    So who are these people who've had their career one-and-done by a kick to the knee? Has anyone even been seriously injured by one? The idea that you're going to turn someone's leg the wrong way from a single shot is kung-fu flick bullshit.

Heel hooks are a direct attack on the knee, yet many fighters have had horrible, grisly damage from them and gone on to fight and win many more times.
    People say that soccer kicks in pride were employed many times and no-one was seriously injured, so they must be safe. I think that's not true. Similarly no-one has had their knee destroyed just yet, but that doesn't mean it's safe. i think it's a matter of time before a double-proficient striker like Jones catches someone flush and fucks their knee.

I'd rather say 'ooh, that looks a bit dangerous' now, rather than wait to see if someone gets seriously hurt. to be fair, I think bones hurt rampage fairly badly with that kick.

with the heel hook comparison, at least you get the chance to tap, even though damage can arrive quickly.

ah man, I'm not trying to kung fu bullshit anyone
    Last edited by Jimmy Boogaloo; 08-11-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    with the heel hook comparison, at least you get the chance to tap, even though damage can arrive quickly.
    Paul Harries disagrees!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm a little 50/50 on this.

I do see where Winkeljohn is coming from in that it is a legal technique and that is useful in a fight but i once received a sorta 40% one in sparring that landed flush and could hardly walk for a week.

Useful? Yes!
    Effective? Yes!
    Dangerous? Yes!

If it's legal then i personally am in full knowledge of what could happen when i get in the cage but so i think it's nasty? yes!

My post went into a bit of a ramble but overall i'm comfortable with whatever the rules are.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Paul Harries disagrees!
    yeah, true - but you still have the option of tapping when he grabs your leg, before the lock is there. not many fighters wanna do that, clearly, but you have the option of tapping, or trying to fend off the lock before it's in place. sure, once he has the lock, he just breaks it straight away as if the tap is nothing to do with him.
    Last edited by Jimmy Boogaloo; 09-11-2012 at 01:39 PM.