Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeman vs. Rodriguez is off

Default Freeman vs. Rodriguez is off

According to Mr. Freeman's FB status it's game over.

"Well I'm sorry to say guys, but my fight with Rico Rodriguez is off .. I asked the UWC promoter who was reffing my fight and he told me his ref Alex Grimmer. Well altho Alex is a nice guy, he's the shittest ref I've ever seen. Everytime I work at UWC he makes so many mistakes. My fight to me is so important. Four years out the cage and a fight with Rico that was meant to happen years ago. Anyhow,
    I told the promoter I wasn't happy that Alex was the ref in my fight and I would prefer someone else. the reply came back and I quote "I can't bring a ref up just for you" - I never asked him to, there are plenty of good refs up north.... Well if that's the attitude of a promoter - stick ya fight and your promotion up your self centred arse. The fight is off. All Over a fucking referee. They obviously wanted this match up so bad they never even argued the toss!"

Shame cos I was looking forward to that one.
    Co-Owner of www.AddictedMMA.com and massive MMA Addict!

ah man its a shame
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

I have offered to referee the fight for free to the Promotor
    He is yet to reply

Always thought this wouldnt go ahead for one reason or the other, shame as it would be cool to see

Quote Originally Posted by SuntanSuperman View Post
    I have offered to referee the fight for free to the Promoter
    He is yet to reply
    I think if Freeman is uncomfortable with the ref then the promotion should respect it and take up your offer. This will be great for them, Ian, and most importantly the fans.
    Sometimes you have to make allowances for the greater good and this is that time. Lets be honest we all want the machine focused on the fight and not worrying about the ref. I hope they can both reconsider and take you up on your offer.

The fact I haven't heard back suggests they, rightly or wrongly, wont

I like Freeman, he's a cool guy and a hell of a fighter.
    But the day a promotion changes a referee at a fighter's request is the day we might as well give up on MMA altogether.
    Twitter @steflachMMA. Herald Sport www.heraldscotland.com/sport

Officials are often discussed before a pro boxing bout goes ahead.

I have offered to referee for free but other good officials are local like Trevor Mitchell

It's why shows should always have 2 referees so that situations like this are more avoidable

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    But the day a promotion changes a referee at a fighter's request is the day we might as well give up on MMA altogether.
    In the US, a fighter or promoter has the ability to request a change in referee from the state athletic commission if they so choose. I believe the highest profile case of it was Brock Lesnar's camp asking for Mazzagatti to be bumped from one of his fights. The request was granted.

I think each case has to be taken on merit though - if a fighter genuinely doesn't feel safe, or that there will be a fair playing field, it should be looked into. At the same time, we can't have every other fighter demanding a ref change just because they think their ref stops fights/stands guys up too quickly etc.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    got to disagree stef, i cant see many fighters being comfortable with Dan ielle Cur zon reffing their fights