Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freeman vs. Rodriguez is off

Common on combat sports for fighters to ask for officials to be changed Stef.

Nothing wrong with it IMO

I have no problems with fighters requesting a referee not ref there fight. But I don't think it's right to pull out of a fight solely cause you don't want that specific ref.

Like if I was a fighter, I would hate for Kim Winslow to ref one of my fights. She is a horrible ref who only gets assignments cause she threatened some people with a sex discrimination lawsuit if she wasn't given fights (I guess to cover my ass I should say ALLEGEDLY). I would tell every commission I fight in I would prefer not to have Winslow ref one of my fights. But if she was assigned to one of my fights, I'd still fight.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Quote Originally Posted by RKing85 View Post
    I have no problems with fighters requesting a referee not ref there fight. But I don't think it's right to pull out of a fight solely cause you don't want that specific ref.

Like if I was a fighter, I would hate for Kim Winslow to ref one of my fights. She is a horrible ref who only gets assignments cause she threatened some people with a sex discrimination lawsuit if she wasn't given fights (I guess to cover my ass I should say ALLEGEDLY). I would tell every commission I fight in I would prefer not to have Winslow ref one of my fights. But if she was assigned to one of my fights, I'd still fight.
    This bit reminds me of certain UK "ref" who seems to really look up to Winslow.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

Freeman says stuff your promotion, I guarantee he'll still work as the MC

Tbh Alex grimmer has been the ref for a few of my fights (including when I fought ricco in Dubai) n Alex has always done a good job everytime. I'm not sayin he is th e best ref out there but to say he is the worst is a bit OTT.

Surely a Promotion like UCW would have more that 1 ref on the night?

If they do then surely the other ref can take charge in that particular fight?
    If they don't, then I think maybe they should get another ref to cover anyway as you never know what could happen during the night or in the days leading up to the event.

A question:

Out of the larger events in the UK, who only uses 1 ref for their events? (genuine question)
    Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer

Quote Originally Posted by THE EQUALIZER View Post
    Surely a Promotion like UCW would have more that 1 ref on the night?

If they do then surely the other ref can take charge in that particular fight?
    If they don't, then I think maybe they should get another ref to cover anyway as you never know what could happen during the night or in the days leading up to the event.

A question:

Out of the larger events in the UK, who only uses 1 ref for their events? (genuine question)
    I understand what you're saying, for my first two shows I used Mark Woodard and he was more than capable of doing them all, as soon as the show got bigger I got Sledge in to come and work with him... I'd have thought they should have one more ref, especially as Freeman probably would have accounted for a lot of tickets being sold, they're going to have to fill that void now.

What if on show day their 1 and only ref got ill or had an accident?

Would you run the risk of not having a second ref and your event suffering?.

Would you be able to get a ref sorted on a few hours notice?
    Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer

Isnt that how Marc Goddard got into reffing?

Quote Originally Posted by THE EQUALIZER View Post
    What if on show day their 1 and only ref got ill or had an accident?

Would you run the risk of not having a second ref and your event suffering?.

Would you be able to get a ref sorted on a few hours notice?

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

Given there's no rules about who can or can't ref then I assume it'd be no problem. Getting an experienced ref on short notice would be challenging but just grabbing a fighter who's confident in the rules and paying him shouldn't be too tricky.

Do SAFEMMA shows require blood work for the refs? Are the refs subject to the same bloodworm requirements as fighters for if they work on non SAFE shows?