Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Judging in MMA based on boxing?

Default Why is Judging in MMA based on boxing?

Can someone explain to me why MMA is judged using the same system as boxing. If you look at other grappling sports like Olympic wrestling and judo, specific numbers of points are allocated for specific techniques according to how completely they are executed. Given the diversity of techniques that can be used in MMA this would seem a more logical scoring system.

TBH I can never understand boxing scoring other than the guy who lands the most scoring punches usually wins a round 10-9 unless there is a knockdown and then it will be 10-8; but even that begs the question what does the 10, the 9 and the 8 actually refer to. It seems like a nonsensical system from start to finish. Why not simply count scoring punches and base the score on that? And getting back to MMA, other than knockdowns what else would result in a 10-8 round. For example would a takedown that transitions into a submission attempt be enough to secure a 10-8 round?
    Last edited by Shaolin Exile; 12-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

A lot more to the scoring in boxing than just punches landed. As with MMA they 10pt system is just a tool to use with the individual scoring criteria of the sport. Its a great system when used correctly.
    Andy Lillis, Former Cagewarriors President

I don't think the 10 point system is a great way to score mma fights, but no one has come up with a better option yet.How many times do we see a fighter control the fight either on the ground or against the fence, win the fight, but do absolutely no damage and just nullify their opponent? Control and positioning should not win fights. Would rather see far more emphasis on damage, clean hard strikes, knock downs and sub attempts.

Control and positioning isnt as important in the criteria as 'effective striking' and 'effective grappling' already. How would you measure damage?
    Andy Lillis, Former Cagewarriors President

I kinda like the Pride scoring system, except that it's way too open to corruption/abuse/whatever you want to call it.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

It's amazing how many mma fighters and fans STILL think that knocking your opponent down in a MMA fight entitles you to an automatic 10-8 round.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

The only thing that entitles you to a 10-8 round, in practice, is nearly killing the guy.

I think a 10-7 might be possible if you actually kill him, and a 10-6 if you also burn his house down and fuck his dog.

The first round of Cris Santos/Jan Finney was a 10-7 round IMO.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

I have always wondered why it is out of 10 and not out of 5?

Quote Originally Posted by jonj View Post
    I have always wondered why it is out of 10 and not out of 5?
    In boxing the reason is to give enough space for more knock-downs and point deductions than you think you're going to need. Refs are a lot quicker to stop fights these days, but multiple knock downs didn't used to be that uncommon.