View Poll Results: Should champs get a non title warm up fight after injury?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

8 100.00%

Thread: Should champions get a non-title comeback fight?

Default Should champions get a non-title comeback fight?

With GSP coming back from a serious injury, and Condit not wanting to fight anyone else, does anyone think Condit has a slight advantage? I'm not talking skill wise. Shogun had a serious knee injury and in his comeback fight had to defend his belt against Jones, who was finishing people for fun. I'm not saying Shogun would've won, but I think a fully fit Shogun gives him a better fight. I will be putting some money on Condit, not just because he is a good bet, but also because I think he will be sharper. Even though he hasn't fought, he could train and spar when GSP couldn't. I just think it's unfair that a champ should have to defend his belt in his first fight after a serious injury, especially in MMA where 1 loss can change your career, even more so if you hold a belt. So it begs the question, do you think champions should get a non title warm up fight, yes or no? (I know there are a lot of grey areas, like how serious the injury, how long will be out etc)

I couldn't see it working, what happens if they lose?.

It more realistic to offer them an automatic rematch

What is a warm up fight exactly? that's basically saying give him someone who isnt very good and has no chance just so he can beat them and get rid of the ring/cage rust. What if he gets beat what happens to the person who beats him? does he get a title shot? and when does he get it?

Nah don't agree with this at all, you are a champion and so should face all comers ready or not.
    For your MMA Fix, Don't Hit the Pit anymore coz its shut

No i don't think they shud he's been out for wat a yr n half wat wud of happened if gsp got injury again wud they delay it again they should of strip him of title after a year

My opinion is the belt should be taken away if the champion is out for 12 months or more and he gets a auto shot at title which he can use when he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    My opinion is the belt should be taken away if the champion is out for 12 months or more and he gets a auto shot at title which he can use when he wants.
    So they can come back, lose 2 fights then say "hey, I want my title shot"?

The way UFC do it now is the best way. Have an interim champion and then when the injured champ returns they fight for the title. Easy.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    The problem with that is the new champion won't be seen as the real champion.

I've never thought about fighters having a 'tune up' fight before stepping up to top level competition again. It happens fairly often in boxing doesn't it.

no. If they want a warm up fight, they should have vacated the title outright as soon as they got their serious injury.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!