Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BJJ Blue Belts teaching

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice GCG View Post
    Aberdeen has 4 main clubs that train in BJJ.

Of the 4, GCG are the only one with coaches below purple belt.

Yet GCG consistently post the best results at gi AND no gi competitions out of the 4 clubs. As an aside, we have the best MMA win record of the 4 clubs aswell - unless one of the clubs I know about has higher than 100% win rate!?

I rest my case.
    av niver lost eh at maks me 100% ina

Quote Originally Posted by leonthehitnamsummers View Post
    av niver lost eh at maks me 100% ina
    0-0, you da man

You guys seem to think ability to teach is all that's important, but a coach needs knowledge to pass on too. That's why I said it's ok for blue belts to teach within certain guidelines. A point most of you seem to have ignored.

Also, a team's results are influenced by more than just the level of technique taught. If a coach encourages their students to do s&c, for instance, they will have an advantage over other teams who don't. The question was about teaching jiu-jitsu though, not running a team.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice GCG View Post
    Astounding ignorance.

What if you go to the club with a black belt coach, but don't like the vibe, finding the club run by blue belts to have a friendlier, more laid back, fun vibe?

What if there are no black belts in your area? My club run a class in a place called Old Meldrum which is a fair bit out in the sticks and if the blue belt that coaches there had not started doing classes in Old Meldrum, then his students, who have grown to love BJJ and have regularly won medals at Scottish competitions, would never have had the chance to even learn the sport.

i dont posses a blue belt, but can beat them, does that mean if there are no clubs in my area i can teach BJJ ?

If you are a beginner, high level BJJ is the last thing on the agenda, so black, brown, purple can be used for senior classes, so if a blue belt was teaching a beginners class, i see no problem there.
    The original post asked about the gracies doing this, yes they do, blue belt curriculum is all combatives against unskilled opponents, so blue belts are qualified to teach combatives classes should they achieve 90% in the exam.

Final point, the GCG way is also great, due to the fact that the highest rank stated on the thread was the same as other guys, with 3rd party overseers and tuition, when the playing field is even, the motion of learning is perpetual, and due to this GCG have some great guys, so blue belt or not, achievement and skill speaks for itself.

If you are a beginner with the attitude " just a blue belt " when you are a white belt, then its best to revaluate... a blue belt sure as hell knows how to teach trap and roll, elbow pass, kimura armlock, take the back and rear naked choke, (first 5 lessons of combatives) which will be keeping you busy as a beginner.
    Some people watch so much BJJ and have seen techniques applied so many times that they go i can do that at their first class, sacrificing base and control because they saw gsp do it in ufc.... i used to be one of those people

Senior Member leonthehitmansummers's Avatar

Highest belt is a 2 stripe brown why jimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by leonthehitmansummers View Post
    Highest belt is a 2 stripe brown why jimbo.
    2 stripe brown? arek zeincwicz i'm guessing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    You guys seem to think ability to teach is all that's important, but a coach needs knowledge to pass on too. That's why I said it's ok for blue belts to teach within certain guidelines. A point most of you seem to have ignored.
    Like I said, it's about the material you have and how you put it across. You need to have knowledge, but also need to know what to put across. You need to give people things (notice I'm not saying techniques) that will improve their performance.

I've been to classes with blue belts who were good and bad at coaching - and high ranked belts who were good and bad at coaching. I have experience of a fair bit of different styles of coaching. I'm not saying you don't have that - but I believe it's important to have that experience when thinking of this topic.

And on the football point - you should watch 'Being Liverpool' and there you will see a coach in Brendan Rodgers giving advice to footballers who are better than him. But see what he tells them and how he puts it across. It's a great insight into sports coaching.
    http://www.granitecitygrappling.com/

Senior Member leonthehitmansummers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wildorchidx View Post
    2 stripe brown? arek zeincwicz i'm guessing?
    Well done ally u tool ur so cleaver

anyway back to topic, does the colour matter when the talent is enough, discarding someone by belt colour is misplaced logic unless the person sucks, but that is very rare and usually comes down to " all we got taught was an escape from mount and a guard pass for the whole class, get a black belt so i can learn some berimbolo or a mounted gogoplata"

Fabricio Werdums purple belt instructional was one of the most sought after dvd, he was only a purple at the tiime, but everyone wanted it, even blackbelts, the content was broken down into 4 concepts, the technique, the counter, the bottom positioning and the top positioning, while other dvds just taught techniques... there was only a few thousand printed and they go for about $200 on ebay, anyway thats just 1 example of how talent on its own spoke more than rank.

The GCG posts are closest to accurate based off of talent speaking for itself, and them being "just blue belts" however what Asa is teaching seems to be working, this isnt the same as other places obviously since some instructors suck, but disputing a system which is perpetual and works with the " just the blue belt " argument makes no sense.

Everyone has their opinions though, so if a black belt is needed, find one