Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: BJJ Blue Belts teaching

everything Diamondback just said about gradings at gracie barra seminars and via affliation is 100% TRUE!

Really? Cos it doesn't happen like that with us.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Our two coaches are only blue belts but man they know their stuff. Far more than any of the guys they are teaching anyway. And maybe its a time thing, the BJJ revolution has begun, who cares about belt colours anyway, knowledge is power!

Exactly right belts are a piece of fabric that is surely not what makes you a better student of jiu jitsu! If youve been training properly even if a black belt isnt teaching you if youve been drilling and by chance even have been drilling properly for ten years you will be better than the purple belt who has been training for four! I see this in scotland regularly blue belts who are better than purples etc.
    chris carmichael Viper fight team sponsored by www.ontoppromotions.co.uk

Didnt see a fuss 5 or so years ago when most of you was blue belts and clubs was popping up all over. Didnt complain about the prices then did ya Everyone went bjj crazy like we was back at ufc 1 zomfg we need jitz foooooook. The smart kids cross trained nuff said.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 15-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Quote Originally Posted by DIAMONDBACK View Post
    if you teach BJJ and you and your guys compete and win and you and your guys can go and train in other gyms and compete hold your own or even defeat higher grades then you or your guys should be cool with that. And the fact of the matter is BJJ is perhaps one of the most political sports in terms of gradings! Ive been a blue belt for years been told by numerous purples that i should be graded but with no coach at my team i cant see how this happens i hear of blackbelts coming from brasil or wherever doing a seminar and giving out grades or buying into Gracie barra and being rapidly promoted through the ranks! I dont know but i rolled with blues at another team schooled them and the next night they were awrded purple belts i train in another gym where i roll with a purple who was promoted even though me and my blue belt students could have our way easily with him. the fact of the matter is you dont need to wear the colour to have the knowledge or ability of that colour and that is a fact! I teach BJJ as a blue belt my team shines at comps last comp the scottish bjj nationals i had 8 competitors enter and every single one reached the final and took either gold or silver that is better than any other team did??? Now i am by no means saying that im am the best team in scotland and in fact i am perfectly aware that i am not i am saying that i believe i have the knowledge and the experience to coach even though im a blue belt and so why just to get graded up SHOULD i HAVE to leave my team its a good team afterall???. If you can technically roll with a number of higher grades and handle them would you not be eligible to wear that grade should a blackbelt award you it regardless of where you train rather simply because you are that level and that is it!!! Is their other requirements besides being a decent human being etc etc
    What belt level where your team competing at?

Quote Originally Posted by DIAMONDBACK View Post
    Exactly right belts are a piece of fabric that is surely not what makes you a better student of jiu jitsu! If youve been training properly even if a black belt isnt teaching you if youve been drilling and by chance even have been drilling properly for ten years you will be better than the purple belt who has been training for four! I see this in scotland regularly blue belts who are better than purples etc.
    I think the problem is, is most people who are getting taught by lower belts aren't drilling properly and may be missing a lot of the finer details that a more experienced grappler can offer them, Im a blue belt, I wouldn't even think of trying to teach a class, but even though I've got all of the basics relatively covered and I'm sure I can show people there are still little details about certain sweeps or what not that get taught to me and completely change how I do the basics, I don't think a lot of that stuff can be learned on YouTube or taught by lower belts.

If you've been at blue belt for a long time then the chances are you're beating purples because you've got your fundamentals down to a T but do you not think there will be a cap on your learning?

/\ good points. Fighting ability doesn't equal teaching ability, just because a blue belt can beat a purple belt doesn't mean they can teach better (and neither does a black belt guarantee teaching ability).

It's also very silly to act like someone who has been promoted to blue belt then trained for 8 years or whatever without instruction is the same as someone who is a normal blue belt. It's like people saying "Oh, I saw a white belt tap a black belt"... whenever people post that it always turns out that the white belt has been doing nogi for 10 years or is a judo 3rd dan former Olympic team member etc...

What year did you get your blue Rob mate just interested.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Long time ago... Oct 2005