Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: BJJ Blue Belts teaching

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    It's not an argument, I'm just confused at the wording you used
    I was asking you a question and got my answer thats all there was too it. That been said there are those out there who in the past have graded and passed with nowhere near the skill set which would be expected from a purple or above.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Just remember lads getting graded much quicker then they do now.
    Thing is, I don't really understand why this is an issue, only reason I say this is because if you're graded to soon you just look more of a fool when some one with a lower ( or worse, much lower) belt smashes you in front of every one.

Let people buy belts IMO, because they just look foolish when some blue belt beast is choking them unconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by the mid 90's View Post
    Thing is, I don't really understand why this is an issue, only reason I say this is because if you're graded to soon you just look more of a fool when some one with a lower ( or worse, much lower) belt smashes you in front of every one.

Let people buy belts IMO, because they just look foolish when some blue belt beast is choking them unconscious.
    Academies that promote too early don't tend to compete though.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Fair point, it just baffles me, the belt is just a symbol of your skill level, to me, I'd much rather have the skill than the belt, you'd have the be a nutter to have it any other way.

I just feel sorry for them, even though it's only the first run of the ladder when I got my blue I knew I'd worked my arse off for it and I'm not the best blue belt in the world but when ever I've trained at other gyms if I've been traveling I've never felt that my skills have been inferior and that fills me with pride and confidence in my coaches and my self, I couldn't imagine having it any other way.

By the way I was having a dig at a forum member for taking cash for belts but it was not you mate also cant name as I believe that's fighter bashing.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

I'm not too fussed about belts really, there's nowhere to hide in the gym and everyone knows who's legit. The only issue I have with belt buying is that they give BJJ a bad name, they make it look shady and puts the legitimacy of everyone into question. They also are poor representation to outsiders looking in, when I meet theses type of guys they are the ones who mouth off about their belt colour the most and when they can't back it up it demeans the sport.
    Fuck no-gi

Quote Originally Posted by Gi-boy View Post
    I'm not too fussed about belts really, there's nowhere to hide in the gym and everyone knows who's legit. The only issue I have with belt buying is that they give BJJ a bad name, they make it look shady and puts the legitimacy of everyone into question. They also are poor representation to outsiders looking in, when I meet theses type of guys they are the ones who mouth off about their belt colour the most and when they can't back it up it demeans the sport.
    Isn't there a club in Aberdeen were the polish guy has gone from brown to black in a year ? Also a lass that's gone from white to purple in under two years ? Seems so fast compared to our guys
    sick of the bullshit !

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    Name and shame
    Mabsy Alam Game fight team leeds

Brown to black in a year isn't unheard of but the IBJJF minimum is a year and a half I think. Problem is that some places are now making the minimums the norm. You can't really concern yourself with those places though and I'll never give out belts quickly... most of my guys wonder what they have to do to get a stripe.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/