Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BJJ Blue Belts teaching

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice GCG View Post
    Out of interest Leon, what grade is your BJJ coach?
    Black belt in Bullshitsu...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice GCG View Post
    What is the big deal with what belt your coaches are? Strange how BJJ guys seem to be stuck with this archaic view that belt is all that matters.

Jose Mourinho never played football to any kind of standard but he's a pretty good coach. Roy Keane was one of the best footballers of all time, and a terrible coach. That is but one of countless examples I could give - just because you are good at doing something, doesn't mean you are good at showing someone else how to do it.

Also, what would happen if you had a guy who was a white/blue belt but had been training for 10 years and was an elite elite BJJ player, but had never gone to a seminar or visited the gym of a black belt and thus had never had the opportunity to be graded?

Out of interest Leon, what grade is your BJJ coach?
    Someone who is legit blue belt level doesn't have the technical knowledge that a higher belt does. No doubt some black belts suck at teaching and some blue belts are good... that changes nothing.

If someone has been training ten years but hasn't been promoted, who has been teaching them?

Does Mourinho teach the technique of tackling or striking the ball? I would guess not. Either way, analogies to a totally different sport are pointless.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

I coach a beginners class purely focussed on fundamentals of grappling. I personally have been taught things from white belts better than I have been taught things by black, brown and purple belts. Some people are good at coaching, getting a point across, understanding body mechanics, physics or highlighting the relevance of a very specific movement then breaking it down and passing it on.

In my opinion experience helps build these things of course, but it shouldn't be the all of being a decent coach/teacher/instructor.
    Asa | www.granitecitygrappling.com

My opinion is Blue Belts should not be teaching BJJ, thats just my opinion, even under guidance of another affiliation, i wouldnt pay 5 to be taught by a blue belt, when there is black belts teaching for 5 ! both at a total different level.

Ah ken min fits a blue belt teaching folk like me? nithin am basically a blue noo iv din like nearly ten seshs in the gi min!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    No doubt some black belts suck at teaching and some blue belts are good... that changes nothing.
    Emm, yes it does.

In my opinion, it's all about the material you have, how it's put across and how you train it. A black belt may have much more knowledge, but be terrible at putting it across and structuring classes. What good is that?

It's been proven across sport that great players don't make great coaches. Developing the skills of other people is totally different to developing your own.

I have been involved in sport in a number of different capacities. I have a good understanding of what makes a great coach. And that's why I'm delighted to be coached by the people at my club - who are all blue belts.
    http://www.granitecitygrappling.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smashingmachine View Post
    My opinion is Blue Belts should not be teaching BJJ, thats just my opinion, even under guidance of another affiliation, i wouldnt pay 5 to be taught by a blue belt, when there is black belts teaching for 5 ! both at a total different level.
    Astounding ignorance.

What if you go to the club with a black belt coach, but don't like the vibe, finding the club run by blue belts to have a friendlier, more laid back, fun vibe?

What if there are no black belts in your area? My club run a class in a place called Old Meldrum which is a fair bit out in the sticks and if the blue belt that coaches there had not started doing classes in Old Meldrum, then his students, who have grown to love BJJ and have regularly won medals at Scottish competitions, would never have had the chance to even learn the sport.
    Maybe the worst 2-0 MMA fighter in history. @jimbojitsusbg granitecitygrappling.com

Having "only" blue belt coaches doesn't seem to be doing GCG any harm when it comes to competition results. Surely they should be getting steamrolled by other clubs who do have purples, brown and black belts to teach them.

I'd also say that getting a class for 5 in this day and ages represents great value for money, can't say that I've ever went home thinking that my fiver was wasted.

I remember when I was a teenager that bullshido TMA's all over the country had black belts galore and that they "had" to be black belts to be legit, seems like this mindset is still prevelant today.

Also, a blue belt may have the knowledge of what to do - but just not quite have the timing, energy and motion to make it work against a player at a higher level. That will come with time though. And in the meantime, he can still teach other people what they need to know. So long as the material is good and it is trained in a smart way.
    http://www.granitecitygrappling.com/

Aberdeen has 4 main clubs that train in BJJ.

Plenty of choice and variety for anyone who wants to train. I of course recommend GCG
    Last edited by Jimbo Slice GCG; 22-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Maybe the worst 2-0 MMA fighter in history. @jimbojitsusbg granitecitygrappling.com