Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Thiago Silva absolutely stupid?!

I think everyone knows smoking green isn't in any way a performance enhancer, and in reality it shouldn't be illegal or banned. That said it is and its a very small price to pay for a proffesional fighter to get paid doing what they love. I don't have a great deal of sympathy for Diaz or Silva and I don't think you can turn a bliond eye to it as it will open up a can of worms

I've sparred after a smoke in the past, and I got embarressed!
    Last edited by Jonny Ninja; 23-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.

He's just like Chris Leben, he's got issues, UFC want to help him because hes a fucking brawler same as Leben and he's a good kid.

Pro Fighter
    Chris Garry

Cannabis is a bronchodilator, which actually opens up restricted airways, helping you breath more easily.

Yes smoke can damage the lung cell walls, but who is to say he smoked? The athletes in the know who choose to medicate inhale harmless non toxic vapours rather than smoke.
    Dont be surprised when they quit; be surprised when they dont!!

That's actually really interesting, but I don't think there's a person in the world who gets high for its bronchodilating abilities.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

It has negative effect on performance, but I know fighters like Matt Riddle have also used it for pain relief and other factors like anxiety (depending on what you're smoking). Not sure that gives them an 'edge'. Its the negative perception of the drug that I think the authorites dont like and why it stands as a banned substance. Its even more unclear in the US where marijuana is prescribed to people with certain conditions
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Cannabis is a bronchodilator, which actually opens up restricted airways, helping you breath more easily.

Yes smoke can damage the lung cell walls, but who is to say he smoked? The athletes in the know who choose to medicate inhale harmless non toxic vapours rather than smoke.
    Interesting stuff there, I never knew that.

Vaporizer it is.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

rules are rules, professional fighters know both the rules and the consequences. You are a professional fighter, dont fuck with the rules and sacrifice what you have

in my honest opinion weed doesn't give you any sort of advantage and in some country's its allowed others it isn't everybody knows that a lot of high level guys use roids and a lot get away with it we all know who they are ^^ plus imagine the stress that top level fighters go through mind and body i honestly dont see the big deal in having a smoke behind closed doors. Also when the likes Rogan toke on cam and then work for the ufc its a bit 2 faced saying fighters cant have a smoke a bong a night after training never hurt anyone i agree with diaz its good for you.

Smoking weed amongst mma fighters in the states is massive they all do it trust me iv seen it some get stoned b4 drilling wrestling or jujitsu i couldnt do it me but thats ther way of life over there altho most knock it on the head 8 weeks b4 a fight
    Liam Bad Intentions James, pro mma uk featherweight!!

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Also when the likes Rogan toke on cam and then work for the ufc its a bit 2 faced saying fighters cant have a smoke a bong a night after training
    I don't think they employ him as a commentator/representative because he smokes, they employ him in spite of it.

He's an advocate of weed but he's professional enough never to bring it up in commentary. He expresses his pro-weed opinions when away from the UFC. Fair enough he's essentially representing the UFC but I don't think people care that much about weed in sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    in some country's its allowed others it isn't
    That's a good point actually. What happens if a Dutch fighter tests positive for 'cannabis metabolites'? It's perfectly legal in northern Holland (it's my understanding that they're more conservative the further south you go). If they had a show in northern Holland would it be OK?
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.