Thread: How long did you train before your first fight?

Default How long did you train before your first fight?

As the title says.

I have recently started training in MMA, I have a background in boxing and have done a little if BJJ. Looking to hopefully fight in 2013.

Just wondering how long others trained for before your first fight?

I've been training Mma and bjj since January and some kickboxing experience before.looking at taking my first fight the end of feb beginning of march next year,amateur rules.i think If you really want to make a success of it you gotta give it time.i train twice a week sometime 3 times a week due to work but want to train more in the 2 months leading up to the fight.Good luck

I trained in BJJ pretty much daily (and competing regularly in gi and no gi comps) for 2 years and 10 months before I competed in MMA. I put gloves on for the first time and started training all the facets of MMA 8 weeks before my first fight.

I found that competing regularly in both gi and no gi comps really helped me come fight time. I certainly didn't have the first time competing nerves that most do when they fight MMA for the first time.

I would recommend that you compete in SOMETHING (be it boxing, thai, bjj) a few times before fighting MMA. Would also recommend that you are above average at at least one of the facets of MMA (be it wrestling, striking or BJJ) before you fight for the first time. I'm not saying you need to be awesome at everything and well rounded, but I certainly found being above average at BJJ helped me a ton, and made up for my lack of skills in other areas.

Best of luck to you if you do fight.
    Maybe the worst 2-0 MMA fighter in history. @jimbojitsusbg granitecitygrappling.com

Quote Originally Posted by shamuk View Post
    Just wondering how long others trained for before your first fight?
    Well, I couldn't give you an answer from experience, as I have not yet competed in MMA... but my best guess would be 'when you are ready' obviously there's a certain amount of honesty involved in that appraisal which must be maintained... probably better to say 'your instructor will let you know,' instead I suppose. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by Grapple Bastard; 21-12-2012 at 07:00 AM.