Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legal question

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Default Legal question

So my next door neightbour decided to put a brick through our kitchen window the other night and then ring the police and tell them he had. Landlord has pressed charges for the window, but I've since found he has also broke the microwave and a few other items.

Our lass just spoke to the police and they reckon we can't press charges for criminal damage, it's a civil matter, is this right?

He is in his 60s so a good kicking isn't an option (tempting tho)
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Its not a civil matter as its a criminal offence. An example of a civil offence would be say trespass. The only reason I think it may not be applicable is that you cant be charged with the same offence twice and as the landlord has pressed charges then you cant. If you get a crime reference number you can claim off your insurance though.
    Mike "the mic" Persil

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

throw your microwave through his window. that's what I'd do. [/Luke]
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Captain America is my Dad mickclark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    throw your microwave through his window. that's what I'd do. [/Luke]
    Brilliant!
    Meh...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Persil View Post
    Its not a civil matter as its a criminal offence. An example of a civil offence would be say trespass. The only reason I think it may not be applicable is that you cant be charged with the same offence twice and as the landlord has pressed charges then you cant. If you get a crime reference number you can claim off your insurance though.

Not sure that would be the case (although I'm not overly strong on matters of criminal law). If somebody were to set a car alight and the fire were to spread to adjacent vehicles, I believe the owner of each vehicle would be able to pursue a separate charge of criminal damage to reflect the fact that their property has been damaged as a result of the act - the same would be true in this case. The landlord's window's been damaged therefore he has right of action against the guilty party, but I believe that Craig would too on the basis that his own property has also been damaged as a result of the act. If this crazy neighbour had gone into Craig's house swinging a bat and caused injury to both Craig and his landlord then the fact that the landlord had pressed charges wouldn't preclude Craig from pressing charges in respect of his own injuries - I can't see why the situation would be any different for damaged property.

I may be wrong though, in which case you should just throw your microwave through his window.

just give him a kicking, the cheeky cunt

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

He might have a nasty fall on the ice that will undoubtedly be there soon. These old blokes are not too steady on their feet

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSt.Clair View Post
    ....So my next door neighbour decided to put a brick through our kitchen window ....
    I've got to ask;

Why did your neighbour decide to throw a house brick through your window ? I can't imagine it was just for fun ?
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSt.Clair View Post
    So my next door neightbour decided to put a brick through our kitchen window the other night and then ring the police and tell them he had.
    Is he a mental?!

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

He is an alcoholic, claimed the dogs were howling and annoyed him, I had left the house 10 minutes before.

He is in his 60s, kicking isn't an option lol
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA