Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is really to blame for Mike Persil?

Dont be scared Homie Plastikman's Avatar

I have a question; All those T/KO's listed above, is Mike actually getting properly ironed out?

Or is he getting Lee-Livesey-style "glance at me and I lose consciousness...now where's my cheque?" knocked out?
    Last edited by Plastikman; 06-12-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

I thought he had a few wins via DQ nut shots as well?
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    I thought he had a few wins via DQ nut shots as well?
    I was told he had 4 wins by DQ.

4 now..I had heard 3 to be fair. So he is improving then?

~edit~
    Apologies Mike by the way, not knocking you - I agree that you should hang em up dude for your own health, but the flip side, you have got in there at least, anyone who does that much gets a high five and some credit from me anyway.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    4 now..I had heard 3 to be fair. So he is improving then?

~edit~
    Apologies Mike by the way, not knocking you - I agree that you should hang em up dude for your own health, but the flip side, you have got in there at least, anyone who does that much gets a high five and some credit from me anyway.
    Yes he has huge respect from me also you wouldn't catch me going in that cage. Imagine if you turned up for a show and didnt know who you was facing then all of a sudden the doors open and a ripped beast walks out ready to lay the smack downi think i will be a manager as its safer.

Mike is the only person to blame really!! He is old enough to be responsible for his own actions. We are not talking about a child taking risks here this is a 50+ year old man. Passionate about a sport or whatever the reasons may be his actions a both dangerous and mindless.

The fighters can't be held responsible. Yes I think its a bit poor if fighters are taking fights with him for a quick KO on there record or a easy win but thats how some people roll!

The promoters can't be held accountable really either as a multitude of reasons could occur as to why they book fighters like this.

Most professionals train "x" amount of months for specific opponents. When an opponent drops out and a promoter needs a stand in most professionals wont take them on short notice due to lack of prep time for that bout. Mike on the other hand is there happy to take the fight.

There are other so called "professional" fighters who wont fight certain fighters at risk of losing. Again when promoters are faced with this and cant find someone with a similar record to fight them............Mike is on hand!

As fantastic as the sport is there are alot of poorly conducted fighters out there. Not just in the shape of Magic Mike but fighters who want win after win but not to earn them. Fighters who will avoid other fighters cause they know they risk losing. Even highly regarded fighters do this in some cases.

I remember getting a call to find a fighter for a middleweight. Alot of other middleweights refused the fight. All of the same calibre with great records. All these refused and the guy ended up fighting a guy 4 weight classes below him. Not really the middleweight fault but he was the only guy happy to fight him. Someone trains so hard for so long its nice to have someone infront of you to punch i guess lol.

Think that is all, the post went better in my head but i think i covered everything

MESSAGE TO PROMOTERS: Dont book Mike.........use me instead. No risk of death then and I have a poor record so if they are looking for a easy win they should be happy
    Last edited by DanWelsh; 06-12-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo
    Dan 'Vybz' Welsh 63Kg Pro 11-25-0 danwelsh86@gmail.com

To be fair promoters should be banned from using a handful of certain fighters, not just Mike.

Mike Persil
    Lee Cage / Threlfall / Threllfall / Threlfal / Livesey / Livesy / Livsy
    Craig Allen

The above guys are the main ones promoters should steer clear of. If anybody accepts a fight with them, or even worse, asks for them - it's shameful.

I know Nathan Thompson and Dan Welsh have had some stick in the past but those guys can actually fight. Thompson is pretty slick off his back and Dan Welsh has some solid stand up skills - I'd like to see them move to a decent gym (I hear Thompson has), get some good training in with good coaches and training partners and do well.

Anyone from Antonios as well. Except that one dead 'ard one who Alex Minogue fought. Jesus. (He didnt fight Jesus).
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

This thread was originally about people abusing Persil, but perhaps it could be used to expose those padding their record.

Record Padder #1 - Paul Reed

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Paul-Reed-21478

Before his last 5 fights, Reed had a good record of 16-9, having faced some top fighters like Svensson and Corossani, even actually beating Corossani, who is now in the UFC.

Before his loss to Svensson, Reed had a good well earned record, facing some good guys and winning more than he lost. But the loss to Svensson appeared to change his attitude to the sport somewhat.

After the Svensson fight, Reed, 16-9 at the time fought Jules Willis on the 29th May 2011 at Tear Up 6. Willis was 3-4 at the time and in the midst of a bad losing streak.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jules-Willis-54028

Reed won a decision. What was the sense in this fight being booked exactly. Clearly to get Reed back into winning ways.

One record padding match is one thing, but Reed appeared to pick up a taste for such things...

Next for Reed, inexplicably, at Titan Fight Night 4 on September 4th 2011 he fought Craig Allen. He was 17-9, Allen was 1-25 at the time of the fight.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Craig-Allen-53555

That is very fishy to me and a blatant example of record padding - what other reason could there be for that fight to be made?

After he quickly defeated Allen, Reed then in his next fight on October 15th 2011 fought none other than Danny Welsh at Island Rumble Ballistic. Reed was 18-9 at this point, Welsh was 2-13 at the time.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Danny-Welsh-49756

Unsurprisingly, Paul "Record Padder" Reed won with a submission in the first round, advancing his record to 19-9.

Reed then fought someone half decent in Anzor Azhiev at KSW20 on the 15th September 2012.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Anzor-Azhiev-87153

He lost a decision to a tough fighter.

Clearly, Reed didn't like facing an evenly matched opponent at this stage in his career and his next fight (and most recent fight to date) was a REMATCH with Craig Allen who had "advanced" his record to 4-33 by this time. The fight happened on 13th October 2012 at KORE MMA.

Reed won in 47 seconds. Shock horror.

So Paul Reed, a fighter who has been in there with UFC level talent in his earlier career, in his last 4 fights has fought Danny Welsh once and Craig Allen twice.

Blatant record padding.

Shocking.
    Last edited by The Red Belt; 06-12-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Belt View Post
    This thread was originally about people abusing Persil, but perhaps it could be used to expose those padding their record.

Record Padder #1 - Paul Reed

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Paul-Reed-21478

Before his last 5 fights, Reed had a good record of 16-9, having faced some top fighters like Svensson and Corossani, even actually beating Corossani, who is now in the UFC.

Before his loss to Svensson, Reed had a good well earned record, facing some good guys and winning more than he lost. But the loss to Svensson appeared to change his attitude to the sport somewhat.

After the Svensson fight, Reed, 16-9 at the time fought Jules Willis on the 29th May 2011 at Tear Up 6. Willis was 3-4 at the time and in the midst of a bad losing streak.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jules-Willis-54028

Reed won a decision. What was the sense in this fight being booked exactly. Clearly to get Reed back into winning ways.

One record padding match is one thing, but Reed appeared to pick up a taste for such things...

Next for Reed, inexplicably, at Titan Fight Night 4 on September 4th 2011 he fought Craig Allen. He was 17-9, Allen was 1-25 at the time of the fight.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Craig-Allen-53555

That is very fishy to me and a blatant example of record padding - what other reason could there be for that fight to be made?

After he quickly defeated Allen, Reed then in his next fight on October 15th 2011 fought none other than Danny Welsh at Island Rumble Ballistic. Reed was 18-9 at this point, Welsh was 2-13 at the time.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Danny-Welsh-49756

Unsurprisingly, Paul "Record Padder" Reed won with a submission in the first round, advancing his record to 19-9.

Reed then fought someone half decent in Anzor Azhiev at KSW20 on the 15th September 2012.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Anzor-Azhiev-87153

He lost a decision to a tough fighter.

Clearly, Reed didn't like facing an evenly matched opponent at this stage in his career and his next fight (and most recent fight to date) was a REMATCH with Craig Allen who had "advanced" his record to 4-33 by this time. The fight happened on 13th October 2012 at KORE MMA.

Reed won in 47 seconds. Shock horror.

So Paul Reed, a fighter who has been in there with UFC level talent in his earlier career, in his last 4 fights has fought Danny Welsh once and Craig Allen twice.

Blatant record padding.

Shocking.
    lmao quality post

Not quite sure why this has exploded up so much. Mike makes the decision to fight. Promoters & opponents aren't forcing him to get in the cage. The only thing I am concerned about is ultimately his health, beyond that he can have a Triple Threat match against Cain & JDS!!

I think calling the guys he has fought "bullies" is very disrespectful, to Mike & to them. A fight can still go either way, we've all seen fights not go the way we expected. Plus fights fall apart at the last minute, Mike & others taking last minute fights keeps a fight on the card otherwise a training camp would be wasted.

As for record padding, yeah it goes on, its a part of Boxing & MMA because at the end of the day these (and many others) are professional sports & guys are looking to build a solid record to move their career along, be it domestic titles & UFC aspirations. It gives guys at a lower tier who perhaps might never be worlds beaters an opportunity to compete in the sport they love & with all the ways to win in MMA there will be the hope of the upset. Provided these journeymen are being looked after, fighting close to their weight & getting the relevant time off after KO losses.
    Plus after a loss or an injury some fighters need to rebuild their confidence. Its all well & good slagging guys off for "record padding" but followiung a devastating loss with an equally tough fight can derail a guys career prospects.