Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is really to blame for Mike Persil?

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    To be fair promoters should be banned from using a handful of certain fighters, not just Mike.

Mike Persil
    Lee Cage / Threlfall / Threllfall / Threlfal / Livesey / Livesy / Livsy
    Craig Allen

The above guys are the main ones promoters should steer clear of. If anybody accepts a fight with them, or even worse, asks for them - it's shameful.

I know Nathan Thompson and Dan Welsh have had some stick in the past but those guys can actually fight. Thompson is pretty slick off his back and Dan Welsh has some solid stand up skills - I'd like to see them move to a decent gym (I hear Thompson has), get some good training in with good coaches and training partners and do well.

Anyone from Antonios as well. Except that one dead 'ard one who Alex Minogue fought. Jesus. (He didnt fight Jesus).
    Dan lost on saturday in under a minute then knocked some kid senseless in Shrewsbury the next night. His thai's amongst the best stand-up in uk mma imo. I know he's in this thread and I don't want to fall out with the guy but the thing that bothers me about Dan is I think he actually intentionally doesn't win on occasion. I've seen him hurt guys and he seems to look to let them recover (imo)

As for Antonio's he has some solid guys, Kerpe, Matt, Katov all know what they are doing jesus he brought Banaitis over. He does have some absolute cans like shark bite but to say avoid all his guys is harsh.

I had no clue who I was fighting. My opponents kept pulling and then I got matched up the night before as far as I can remember. I never knew who I was fighting and genuinely wouldn't have fought him had I known.

To be honest if a Pro wants to fight him (or pad there record in general) then so be it as they will get found out soon enough. It's the amateurs (old semi-pro etc) that I think are getting the raw deal. You only get so many fights to fine-tune, acclimatise to fight-night nerves etc and fighting someone like Mike is a waste of vital experience (doesn't mean to sound harsh if so haha).
    https://www.facebook.com/JonnyAfroThunderGoodall 66kg Am: 7-3, Pro: 1-2.

The individual fights Mike takes aren't the issue here, it's the bigger picture. The fact that some people can't see that terrifies me.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    To be fair promoters should be banned from using a handful of certain fighters, not just Mike.

Mike Persil
    Lee Cage / Threlfall / Threllfall / Threlfal / Livesey / Livesy / Livsy
    Craig Allen

The above guys are the main ones promoters should steer clear of. If anybody accepts a fight with them, or even worse, asks for them - it's shameful.

I know Nathan Thompson and Dan Welsh have had some stick in the past but those guys can actually fight. Thompson is pretty slick off his back and Dan Welsh has some solid stand up skills - I'd like to see them move to a decent gym (I hear Thompson has), get some good training in with good coaches and training partners and do well.

Anyone from Antonios as well. Except that one dead 'ard one who Alex Minogue fought. Jesus. (He didnt fight Jesus).
    Got told of someone who specifically asked for Craig Allen not too long ago. Not as a late replacement but for their actual original booked opponent.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

^ I know of a good UK fighter who was dropping down a weight a specifically asked for Craig Allen or Danny Welsh, Danny being Danny took the fight, and then in this fighters next fight he got his wish of fighting Allen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    ^ I know of a good UK fighter who was dropping down a weight a specifically asked for Craig Allen or Danny Welsh, Danny being Danny took the fight, and then in this fighters next fight he got his wish of fighting Allen anyway.
    Fuck it, while we're on the case, a promoter told me a couple of days ago (and I requested that he change the matchup, which to be fair he did) that a 7-2 fighter ASKED to fight an 0-10 Andy Cona. ASKED for him specifically. Seriously? Fucking grow a pair!

There's journeymen that are willing to step in and fight, and then there's "journeymen" that are called that for want of a better term. We know who these guys are and as mentioned, guys like Danny Welsh and Nathan Thompson can fight and don't just roll over and tap out to strikes after one punch etc - they'll give it their best. It's the other sort that shouldn't ever be booked by promoters, but that's life and it won't stop. They take their money and go home happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Fuck it, while we're on the case, a promoter told me a couple of days ago (and I requested that he change the matchup, which to be fair he did) that a 7-2 fighter ASKED to fight an 0-10 Andy Cona. ASKED for him specifically. Seriously? Fucking grow a pair!

There's journeymen that are willing to step in and fight, and then there's "journeymen" that are called that for want of a better term. We know who these guys are and as mentioned, guys like Danny Welsh and Nathan Thompson can fight and don't just roll over and tap out to strikes after one punch etc - they'll give it their best. It's the other sort that shouldn't ever be booked by promoters, but that's life and it won't stop. They take their money and go home happy.

How much do they get paid lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    How much do they get paid lol?
    Differs greatly - I've seen Allen bragging about "earning 600 quid for less than a minute's work", losing two fights in a weekend, but I've also seen it come into the four figures for a single fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgaldo View Post
    I had no clue who I was fighting. My opponents kept pulling and then I got matched up the night before as far as I can remember. I never knew who I was fighting and genuinely wouldn't have fought him had I known.
    You are full of it you little bully. Surely at the weigh ins you saw who it was. It is a fact that you knew before you entered the cage who you were fighting. As soon as you found out it was Persil you should have shown integrity and pulled out yourself. But your arrogance wouldn't let you and you saw the chance of an easy win.

I kind of object to people saying that Persil and others like him stepping up to a fight can prevent a camp from being "wasted". That bully Goodall's fight lasted 8 seconds. A whole camp to knock out an old man in EIGHT SECONDS. That sounds like just as much of a waste as if the fight had never happened at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Differs greatly - I've seen Allen bragging about "earning 600 quid for less than a minute's work", losing two fights in a weekend, but I've also seen it come into the four figures for a single fight.
    That is terrifying.