Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is really to blame for Mike Persil?

At least they get paid a decent wage to get their careers/lives shortened.
    Last edited by The Red Belt; 07-12-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Differs greatly - I've seen Allen bragging about "earning 600 quid for less than a minute's work", losing two fights in a weekend, but I've also seen it come into the four figures for a single fight.
    I've known it be 4 figures on a couple of occasions.

roll over and tap out to strikes

#kentobomber
    16-bit for life http://findingdyluck.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    I've known it be 4 figures on a couple of occasions.
    Yeah I didn't mean I'd just seen it in a single instance, I meant it as in 1K for one fight, as opposed to the aforementioned 600 for Allen's two fights in a weekend. Totally unjustified and not worth the money in my humble opinion, but I'm not a promoter.

#kentobomber

Yeah I didn't mean I'd just seen it in a single instance, I meant it as in 1K for one fight, as opposed to the aforementioned 600 for Allen's two fights in a weekend. Totally unjustified and not worth the money in my humble opinion, but I'm not a promoter.

#kentobomber
    I meant it the same mate that I'd seen 4 figures for one fight on a number of occasions

This is another problem, you more often than not get paid more for being canon fodder than you do for being a legit pro that trains and takes the game seriously!

If your reasoning behind fighting is financial than I guess the promoters are to blame for paying these purses.

If Allen and Persil (or even myself) were offered 10 then I am guessing they wouldn't do it.
    Dan 'Vybz' Welsh 63Kg Pro 11-25-0 danwelsh86@gmail.com

Wow cant believe they pay them that much now we are really getting somewhere. Ok next question why do legit pros get sometimes between 200 - 500 and guys like lee cage and the rest of the Tap out crew get paid silly figures lol. In my opinion its just as bad as match fixing getting these boys to fight plus the wage they get do the maths.

Quote Originally Posted by DanWelsh View Post
    This is another problem, you more often than not get paid more for being canon fodder than you do for being a legit pro that trains and takes the game seriously!

If your reasoning behind fighting is financial than I guess the promoters are to blame for paying these purses.

If Allen and Persil (or even myself) were offered 10 then I am guessing they wouldn't do it.
    I get what you're saying and it's sadly very - true some decent money can be made. BUT that's all they you can ever expect to make. There's a glass ceiling there. With a legit progression in your career, there could be bigger money opprtunities out there (albeit very rarely, and pretty unlikely).

As you say though, whilst it's worth someone's while to be a proverbial lamb to the slaughter, then they'll still do it. Worse are the ones who come with no intention at all of fighting and still pick up a decent wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Wow cant believe they pay them that much now we are really getting somewhere. Ok next question why do legit pros get sometimes between 200 - 500 and guys like lee cage and the rest of the Tap out crew get paid silly figures lol. In my opinion its just as bad as match fixing getting these boys to fight plus the wage they get do the maths.
    They don't (or rarely) get "silly figures", but as I said above it's enough. A week's wage of hard graft for most people, 300-500 quid.

myself and danny both paid our weddings by taking fights against anyone on any show. I made decent money fighting Darren Towler on a few days notice. Tho i made more by fighting K1 and Boxing down south, and had some wars with big name unlincensed lads that the fans loved. Im pretty sure my job was to loose those fights, some of which i did. If taken down in mma by a decent pro im gonna loose, but if they stand ill have a bang, as will danny. Promotors like that as we come to fight, look half decent but when put on my back the hometown lad is probably gonna tap me out and the many fans go home happy, as does the promotor.

Bob Sapp makes a great living by doing it, he admits he taps when in danger as hes probably fighting a few weeks later for and isnt going to risk loosing that income.

Quote Originally Posted by SuntanSuperman View Post
    myself and danny both paid our weddings by taking fights against anyone on any show. I made decent money fighting Darren Towler on a few days notice. Tho i made more by fighting K1 and Boxing down south, and had some wars with big name unlincensed lads that the fans loved. Im pretty sure my job was to loose those fights, some of which i did. If taken down in mma by a decent pro im gonna loose, but if they stand ill have a bang, as will danny. Promotors like that as we come to fight, look half decent but when put on my back the hometown lad is probably gonna tap me out and the many fans go home happy, as does the promotor.

Bob Sapp makes a great living by doing it, he admits he taps when in danger as hes probably fighting a few weeks later for and isnt going to risk loosing that income.
    How could anyone ever book you again after that post, where you clearly implied you have taken dives for cash.

Bob Sapp makes money doing it because he is a bona fide star who fought THE BEST IN THE WORLD in his day. You are a nobody who embarasses himself week in week out