Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheating or not?

Not cheating but very unsportsmanlike. On the other hand there is an old saying "Only a fool gets caught the same way twice" and another one which says "Once bitten; twice shy" while on the other side of the equation to give a one time offender the benefit of the doubt, it might just be a bad case of nervousness and misreading the situation
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

my stance has always been if someone is dumb enough to leave themself unprotected in a fight, then you are even dumber if you don't try and take advantage of it.

I really don't understand the point of touching gloves during a fight in the first place.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Quote Originally Posted by RKing85 View Post
    my stance has always been if someone is dumb enough to leave themself unprotected in a fight, then you are even dumber if you don't try and take advantage of it.

I really don't understand the point of touching gloves during a fight in the first place.
    Disagree. An MMA fight shouldn't be about trying to take advantage of a sporting gesture, and if you win in that way (or even just try) then you're a bellend.

Have you had a fight dude? It's a show of respect in my eyes. A mark of 'this is a sporting contest, but let's beat the shit out of each other'. It's not a bad-blooded fight to the death. It's competition. I wouldn't touch gloves or fist bump with somebody who hit my girlfriend, but somebody who has mutually agreed to take me on in a sporting endeavour, taking time and effort to prepare to the best of his abilities like I have? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Disagree. An MMA fight shouldn't be about trying to take advantage of a sporting gesture, and if you win in that way (or even just try) then you're a bellend.

Have you had a fight dude? It's a show of respect in my eyes. A mark of 'this is a sporting contest, but let's beat the shit out of each other'. It's not a bad-blooded fight to the death. It's competition. I wouldn't touch gloves or fist bump with somebody who hit my girlfriend, but somebody who has mutually agreed to take me on in a sporting endeavour, taking time and effort to prepare to the best of his abilities like I have? Sure.
    I understand what you're saying, I don't see a problem with it but I see his point also, the ref asks you to touch gloves when he gives his instructions so many would consider that enough, I think anyone who takes an opportunity whilst someone offers their hand is a cunts trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    It's not cheating as it isn't against the rules. It's very unsportsmanlike though, and a total dick move.
    This. Though you should really probably agree one way or the other before the bell.

I dont see the need to touch gloves after the bell you have time to do that at the stare down while the Ref is there etc not everyone gets along and likes each other but saying that unless your trying to create some kind of bad boy image for self promotion or media its kinda lame.

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

bellend move IMO

Had it done to me as well but only once. Have seen it happen to Conner at least 3 times! Maybe he is so good they just cant handle him fairly.
    Scott Gregory handled him fairly enough
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Some very good points been made
    Last edited by Babycakes; 13-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.

I've seen fighters look over to their opponent before the ref starts the fight and stick their glove out as if asking "wanna touch gloves" and I've seen fighters do across the cage nods/air touches at this point as well. This eradicates the problem.
    Fuck no-gi

Quote Originally Posted by Gi-boy View Post
    I've seen fighters look over to their opponent before the ref starts the fight and stick their glove out as if asking "wanna touch gloves" and I've seen fighters do across the cage nods/air touches at this point as well. This eradicates the problem.
    No it doesn't