Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More incentives to make weight?

Default More incentives to make weight?

Do we need more incentives for fighters to make weight?
    It seems many decide it would be better to just give up part of their purse than have to actually make the weight?
    Discuss...
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Dont be scared Homie Plastikman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    Do we need more incentives for fighters to make weight?
    It seems many decide it would be better to just give up part of their purse than have to actually make the weight?
    Discuss...
    Fighters who come in over weight should have a local anaesthetic administered to their dominant arm 30 minutes before the fight.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Dont be scared Homie Plastikman's Avatar

Or the fighter who makes weight is awarded "One free nut shot" perhaps.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Just make it 20% of the purse for every 1lb over. More than 4.99lb and the fight is off. Risky for promoters to an extent but riskier for the fighter as soon enough promoters won't touch them if this was the case.

That or per lb over, the fatty fighter has to be bummed for 1 minute per lb by Purple Aki or something.. in the cage, prior to the fight.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

weight needs to be monitered like in boxing something like 4 weeks out fighters get weighed 2 weeks then week before fight then day before then day of fight monitor how much weight is allowed to be dropped and then put back on this would help a lot especially with fighters health risks ,, would probably need a few independant weigh in stations at gyme etc around the uk for this to work ,,,
    Mark Platts Fly/bantamweight 10/7/0

Just hit them where it hurts = money also you could give them a deduction in points before the fight even starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Just make it 20% of the purse for every 1lb over. More than 4.99lb and the fight is off. Risky for promoters to an extent but riskier for the fighter as soon enough promoters won't touch them if this was the case.

That or per lb over, the fatty fighter has to be bummed for 1 minute per lb by Purple Aki or something.. in the cage, prior to the fight.
    Typically 1-5 minutes of Aki bumming? No way they'd pass a medical after that. Fight's off.
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.

Hmm I still owe you a nut shot don't I!!

Also, the danger being some fighters may deliberately fail to make weight....
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

anyone who has a job should get paid more than their contracted salary for turning up on time, wearing the correct attire. Roughly 1,000 per timely arrival seems reasonable.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

I think you've got to strike a balance between incentivising guys to make weight and looking after fighter safety. A fighter has missed weight - that's (99% of the time) his/her fault. What you don't want is situations whereby guys are pushing themselves beyond safe limits because the penalties for missing weight are so severe.

So how do you deal with it? Cage Warriors policy of 25%-40% purse deductions given to the opponent works - only a handful of fighters have had the 40% penalty as far as I know.

But how do you deal with missing weight beyond that? If a fighter misses weight, it's always down to the opponent to take the fight. I can't ever remember a fighter turning down an overweight opponent. I guess the pressure is on the guy who made weight to take the fight for the sake of the promoter/fans/not wasting his camp. That's not entirely fair, so I like the idea of a pre-fight point reduction for a big miss. I'd want to see that put in the Unified Rules before promotions start using it willy nilly.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.