Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GSP vs Diaz - UFC 158.

Sucks for Hendricks though who is a far better fighter than Diaz.

UFC are slowly going down a slippery slope with this, the Sonnen v Jones fight etc.

Diaz will be planted on his back and smashed like he used to get when in the UFC last time, he is a great stand up fighter when put up against stand up fighters but wrasslers are his kryptonite, he will lose and then he is fucked for awhile, where will he go from the loss against GSP, I dont even see it being close, Condit posed more of a threat to GSP than Diaz will, I like Diaz but he doesnt deserve this fight, nor does he really have much chance - its almost going to be the same as Bendo v Diaz MKII was.

Hendricks would make more sense, be a more interesting fight to see as well (or at least consider in the run up to it). Diaz looked great in Strikeforce but people forget how average he looked at times in the UFC prior to that - he has grown as a fighter no doubt but is rake thin and can't defend takedowns against top tier wrasslers as well as Hendricks potentially could.

Just meh.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by RKing85 View Post
    It seems now that the way to get a UFC title shot is to lose. Sonnen, Edgar, and now Diaz. It's ridiculous. the UFC wants to be seen as a legit sport and they are giving titles shots to guys coming off losses.

And Diaz didn't win the Condit fight.

You would make a better case for Edgar. I thought Edgar won both fights with Henderson. But I still think he needs to win a fight before he gets a title shot.
    thats the issue, the ufc isn't a sport, the ufc is a company, and they'll always make decisions based on what's best (most profitable) for the company, not what's fairer for fighters/the sport. it's a really bizarre state of affairs that the sport is effectively controlled and manipulated by one company (basically the ufc and ufc alone).
    we'll always see business focused deals above sport focused ones whilst this remains the case, i.e. until we have an official governing body for the sport....which we'll likely never ever have.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Can see this fight being one sided but anyone counting Diaz out needs to get their head examined? Personally would rather see this fight than Hendricks, but lets be honest, hendrick still only has a punchers chance to win. A win for either is just as unlikely though Diaz possibly has more ways to win?

Diaz probably doesn't deserve it over Hendricks and I still cant believe that people still cant accept the fact that Condit picked diaz apart when they fought, it wasn't even close. However, it could also be argued that Kos beat Hendricks, though that fight was a hell of a lot closer. Hendricks problem now is that he has to beat Ellenberger to stay no.1 contender, and I think that is a 50/50 fight. Shit luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ninja View Post
    Can see this fight being one sided but anyone counting Diaz out needs to get their head examined? Personally would rather see this fight than Hendricks, but lets be honest, hendrick still only has a punchers chance to win. A win for either is just as unlikely though Diaz possibly has more ways to win?

Not necessarily, Hendricks has serious wrestling ability.

Diaz probably doesn't deserve it over Hendricks and I still cant believe that people still cant accept the fact that Condit picked diaz apart when they fought, it wasn't even close. However, it could also be argued that Kos beat Hendricks, though that fight was a hell of a lot closer. Hendricks problem now is that he has to beat Ellenberger to stay no.1 contender, and I think that is a 50/50 fight. Shit luck!!
    Just inserted a little bit there.

Diaz may be coming off a loss and he was beaten by Condit fair and square IMO, but he;s still an elite fighter who is entirely capable of giving GSP a huge challenge. It's also a grudge fight many people want to see.

BTW I thought Henderson beat Edgar in the first fight but Edgar clearly won the second IMO.

I agree that the UFC is entertainment before it is a sport. And they know that. That's why they are doing this. GSP/Diaz does way more PPV buys than GSP/Hendricks. And while internally they know they are entertainment first, they will always publically say that they are a sport first.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Wanted to say that there are some great points on this thread.

I agree that the UFC has become more about entertainment than sport when it comes to certain title shots. That's why Diaz, Edgar, and Sonnen are getting fights that they haven't earned.

I also think that's why Ronda Rousey is being given a 'safe' debut against Liz Carmouche, instead of facing Miesha Tate, who gave her the toughest bout of her career, or Sara McMann, who's undefeated.

Dont really care about the politics atm,the sport is still gonna grow even if the UFC does do away with the "next in line" policy from time to time. Fights like GSP - Diaz also do their bit for bringing in new fans,and as a MMA fan i cant wait to see this fight- build up to end.