Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UKMMA Journeymen

Hybrid View

Default UKMMA Journeymen

As an avid boxing fan, fighting journeymen are a key part of a boxers development from him turning over from the amateur to the paid ranks.

I noticed Allan Love saying in another topic on this forum that a card recently featured some of the UKMMA Journeyman faves.. and it's something I've never really thought much about.

Who are the fighters that you would class as MMA Journeymen, and please no-one say Mike Persil.

jordan miller, journeyman for all the decent guys at the lower weights, jason young, paul reed, ronnie mann, jeff lawson, brad pickett and recently brendan loughnane. does ok against guys with poor records though, so a good guy for people to beat on their 2nd or 3rd fight.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    jordan miller, journeyman for all the decent guys at the lower weights, jason young, paul reed, ronnie mann, jeff lawson, brad pickett and recently brendan loughnane. does ok against guys with poor records though, so a good guy for people to beat on their 2nd or 3rd fight.
    My actual MMA record is 13-12, I've never faced a shit opponent, unlike alot of people that will 'build' their record to 6-0 by fighting nobodies. The losses I have are mostly against guys that are now/or have been in the UFC. Including my K1 bouts I've won 7 out of my last 8 fights, the only loss to Brendan. That went to a decision. I shouldn't have taken that fight but (like most of my other losses at short notice or with no prep) felt obligated to do so by my coach- even though my mum had died less than 3 weeks before after slowly dying for the past ten years. Alot of the fights I took were my way of escaping, if only for a few hours, the shit I had to deal with at home on a daily basis. When you're practically a full time carer for a parent with no outside support for nearly ten years it tends to affect your performance.

Even now I've had no help in training yet my head is right and I am winning all my fights (although still waiting for the online databases to be updated). If anyone thinks I am an easy fight, then take this as an open challenge to anyone at Feather or Lightweight. If you want to build your record with an easy fight then why not step up, apparently I'm easy win. Why doesn't RedBaron step up and take a fight against me?

Quote Originally Posted by jujitsu_jordan1987 View Post
    My actual MMA record is 13-12, I've never faced a shit opponent, unlike alot of people that will 'build' their record to 6-0 by fighting nobodies. The losses I have are mostly against guys that are now/or have been in the UFC. Including my K1 bouts I've won 7 out of my last 8 fights, the only loss to Brendan. That went to a decision. I shouldn't have taken that fight but (like most of my other losses at short notice or with no prep) felt obligated to do so by my coach- even though my mum had died less than 3 weeks before after slowly dying for the past ten years. Alot of the fights I took were my way of escaping, if only for a few hours, the shit I had to deal with at home on a daily basis. When you're practically a full time carer for a parent with no outside support for nearly ten years it tends to affect your performance.

Even now I've had no help in training yet my head is right and I am winning all my fights (although still waiting for the online databases to be updated). If anyone thinks I am an easy fight, then take this as an open challenge to anyone at Feather or Lightweight. If you want to build your record with an easy fight then why not step up, apparently I'm easy win. Why doesn't RedBaron step up and take a fight against me?
    I think you have taken this wrong, a journeymen is someone who gives it a go is no slouch, but is the underdog going into a bout, is that you?
    Also yes you faced tough people but you went through a stage of 8 losses in a row in 5 years, so people will assume that based on your record, they would be favourite to win.

The above are not 'journeymen'.

Shaun Lomas is a journeyman - turns up for a fight but is booked to lose. That isnt being disrespectful to Shaun but thet's what a journeyman is.
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

Soulstealer
    16-bit for life http://findingdyluck.blogspot.co.uk/

It wasn't a personal criticism of you, but what can't speak can't lie. You have been a stepping stone for all of those good guys. Nearly all first round stoppages. Sorry if I offended you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    It wasn't a personal criticism of you, but what can't speak can't lie. You have been a stepping stone for all of those good guys. Nearly all first round stoppages. Sorry if I offended you.
    Some of those fights were from 7 years ago. Brendan Loughnane has been my only slip up in a very very long time now.

I could do what alot of the 'unbeaten' fighters are doing and fight first timers or people that truly are just cannon fodder for building records for my next 4 or 5 fights to bump up my record to make it look abit better, but instead I'm trying to chase rematches with the guys I lost to, in the meantime I will fight whoever comes my way (instead of cherry picking all of my fights).

I may have been a stepping stone back then due to personal circumstance, but I wasn't ready to take those fights, I was either ill, hadn't been training, I had crap coaching and even worse management that were lining their own pockets. I wasn't fortunate enough to have a gym and a coach/manager looking after my training and my interests. Alot of those guys are now out of the UFC so I will catch them up. It's a different story now.

Quote Originally Posted by jujitsu_jordan1987 View Post
    Some of those fights were from 7 years ago. Brendan Loughnane has been my only slip up in a very very long time now.

I could do what alot of the 'unbeaten' fighters are doing and fight first timers or people that truly are just cannon fodder for building records for my next 4 or 5 fights to bump up my record to make it look abit better, but instead I'm trying to chase rematches with the guys I lost to, in the meantime I will fight whoever comes my way (instead of cherry picking all of my fights).
    Exactly. The boxing comparison continues here. Novice pros in boxing build their records slowly fighting the gatekeepers and aforementioned journeymen and then move up the levels whilst gaining experience and maintaining their records. This is a tried and tested way of building fighters in boxing and it's the way mma fighters should do it too. You fucked your record up early and now no-one cares about what your doing now. You are seen as a journeyman. The "I'll fight anyone" attitude is admirable but not clever.
    Fuck no-gi

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your mum, fair play to you for taking care of her so well. Don't worry if anyone says anything critical on here, posts like that are just pieces of nothing on the wind.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'