Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UKMMA Journeymen

King of the journey men Peter Buckley. Buckley lost 256 of his 300 contests, he fought a number of quality world champions and British champions including Duke McKenzie, Naseem Hamed, Acelino Freitas, Jason Cook, Paul Ingle, Patrick Mullings, Dean Pithie, Jason Booth, Michael Brodie, Scott Harrison, Michael Gomez, Johnny Bredahl, Gavin Rees, John Murray, Bradley Pryce, Michael Gomez, Derry Mathews, Lee Meager, Dave Stewart, Gary Woolcombe and Kell Brook.

Dude very rarely got stopped

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Buckley_(boxer)

Quote Originally Posted by thaison View Post
    Traditionally in boxing, a journey man wont get stopped in the distance that often they develop a style of getting through fights relatively unscathed so they dont get a medical suspension and can fight again soon.

Shaun Lomas is a good example of a journey man

There is another class of guys in UKMMA that arent really journey man, more like card fillers, they turn up lose quick, get paid and leave. Most of the guys fighting them wont learn anything from fighting these guys, boxers will learn against journey men though.
    This. Totally different ball game to what we have, but I guess that's also partly due to the nature of MMA (so many ways to win and lose). Guys than turn up for the money and roll over without fighting back are not journeyman in the same sense by any means.

Lomas/Kerpe etc

research Rhys Parker :-) ..... guy fights drunk snorted up on cocaine and decent shows still give him fight and pay him hes like 1-30 or something silly but he gives all promoters different records madness seriously I actually sat in pub with him while hes knocking vodka back just before medicals or eating kebabs watching the fights until his as warming up :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This. Totally different ball game to what we have, but I guess that's also partly due to the nature of MMA (so many ways to win and lose). Guys than turn up for the money and roll over without fighting back are not journeyman in the same sense by any means.

Lomas/Kerpe etc
    Expertly summed up by James and Jay. 100% agree.
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

Quote Originally Posted by jujitsu_jordan1987 View Post
    Some of those fights were from 7 years ago. Brendan Loughnane has been my only slip up in a very very long time now.

I could do what alot of the 'unbeaten' fighters are doing and fight first timers or people that truly are just cannon fodder for building records for my next 4 or 5 fights to bump up my record to make it look abit better, but instead I'm trying to chase rematches with the guys I lost to, in the meantime I will fight whoever comes my way (instead of cherry picking all of my fights).
    Exactly. The boxing comparison continues here. Novice pros in boxing build their records slowly fighting the gatekeepers and aforementioned journeymen and then move up the levels whilst gaining experience and maintaining their records. This is a tried and tested way of building fighters in boxing and it's the way mma fighters should do it too. You fucked your record up early and now no-one cares about what your doing now. You are seen as a journeyman. The "I'll fight anyone" attitude is admirable but not clever.
    Fuck no-gi

Record padding is gay as fuck if its intentional tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Record padding is gay as fuck if its intentional tho...
    There's padding where you fight guys that are overmatched and are blown away and padding where you fight guys that are tough and give you a good scrap. Only one is "gay as fuck".
    Fuck no-gi

Quote Originally Posted by Gi-boy View Post
    There's padding where you fight guys that are overmatched and are blown away and padding where you fight guys that are tough and give you a good scrap. Only one is "gay as fuck".
    This my friend, is the nail in the head.

And this is the point I've been trying to make with this post.

I know only too well what a journeyman is, and the role it plays in boxing. I didn't need the articles and definitions copied from Wikipedia.

The point I was trying to make and find out was, if these guys existed in MMA, Journeymen.

As it's all too common an occurrence that you will look at a guys record on Sherdog where he's got a record of say for example 13-4 and these four losses have all come from taking on fights early on in their careers that they should have avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by danhardy84 View Post
    research Rhys Parker :-) ..... guy fights drunk snorted up on cocaine and decent shows still give him fight and pay him hes like 1-30 or something silly but he gives all promoters different records madness seriously I actually sat in pub with him while hes knocking vodka back just before medicals or eating kebabs watching the fights until his as warming up :P
    seen this geezer fight pro one week, then ammy/semi pro the next - seen him fight at 77 kg as well!! the guy is 66 i think, he's one from portsmouth mma aint he :/
    Owner of @LOVE2FIGHTmag, student of BKK Fighters & PR for WFS: Warrior Fight Series

He's from Redditch near Birmingham I think
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!