Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retiring

Hybrid View

Default Retiring

It is with much regret and great sadness that I am going to retire from competing in MMA.
    I will be honouring my current commitments, which means I actually finish in April.
    Before any malicious rumours start, the actual reasons for this is, family pressure, work pressure and my honour for the sport.
    I have been lucky enough to meet with some great promoters and fighters, like Chris Zorba, Dale Percival, Paul Murphy, Darren Sherlock, Aaron Chatfield, Saul Rodgers, Greg Grimshaw and never to be forgotten Colin Fletcher.
    Anyone who has ever met me knows I have always turned up early for shows, on weight and conducted myself professionally including lending stuff to other fighters in the same colour changing rooms if needed.
    I only have three regrets really, never fighting in London, or abroad at all, and that the Craig Allen fight never happened.
    I concede that no matter how good your ground game is, if your standup is so weak you will never get the chance to show it.
    I am already now not available for January and April, so only available to be booked in February and March, so get in touch if you want. I can imagine me crying my eyes out and falling to pieces in April but there will be no going back.
    Just to put the record straight to those who have made some disparaging remarks about me as a person, retard etc. I am actually reasonably literate with a Post Graduate Diploma in Management Studies at Manchester University, not that it carries any relevance in a cage of course.
    There is a new show setting up and I will be into helping that guy get the project going. My thoughts at present, beyond April, are to do some charity work and (as I have a bit of acting experience) that I wish to become an MMA MC. Any advice/ input welcome on that one. Its a lot safer.LOL

Mike "the mic" Persil

Good man mike. I had the pleasure of a 5 min conversation with you at a show and you're a real gent and nice dude. All the best with whatever you choose to do

James

the world really did end 21/12/2012

Good decision mike.
    Btw - how good is your ground game?
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    Good decision mike.
    Btw - how good is your ground game?
    Hard to quantify really. Its 100 times better than my standup but that doesnt mean much as my standup was so bad. LOL Most guys my own size dont tap me out within several minutes (without GNP). I arent necessarily tapping them out either. Usually due to my body strength for my size. I definately arent good enough to teach unless to completely new starters. Shame you arent nearer and we could have had a roll if you were a similar weight.

The charity work I am going to do is working on fitness/circuits/bootcamp with kids that have no money. A guy who has a boxing gym will open his doors free to kids off the street and I will run the fitness thing with them, thus getting them off the street and tired out. He is hoping to get "normal" members to the gym out of it I suppose so its a win/win situation. My fitness is the only thing I have thats above average TBH especially considering I am 55 next week!
    Mike "the mic" Persil

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Persil View Post
    The charity work I am going to do is working on fitness/circuits/bootcamp with kids that have no money. A guy who has a boxing gym will open his doors free to kids off the street and I will run the fitness thing with them, thus getting them off the street and tired out. He is hoping to get "normal" members to the gym out of it I suppose so its a win/win situation. My fitness is the only thing I have thats above average TBH especially considering I am 55 next week!
    sounds like a worthwhile endeavour, best of luck with it Mike

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Sensible Mike, good choice
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

you're MCing? I had a good run while it lasted but no one will wanna book me now Small and Mighty is suited and booted! Good luck with your future mike :-)

Glad to hear in a way squire, leave on your own terms, you've had some fun and done more than a lot of us.

Enjoy retirement dude!
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Persil View Post
    that I wish to become an MMA MC.
    Bruce buffer is quaking in his $1000 hand made shoes