Thread: Interesting perspective from Dan Severn: tapping to strikes vs eating damage

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Default Interesting perspective from Dan Severn: tapping to strikes vs eating damage

But because he got by mostly on his wrestling skills, Severn said, he didn't take as much head trauma as some of his peers. That fascination with knockouts that exists in the sport today is one of the things he can't quite understand. The way fans seem to only want to see two people bash one another's heads in? The way fighters would rather curl up and get thumped on than tap out to strikes when they've clearly quit fighting back?

"It's almost like they're saving face," Severn said. "Like, hey, they didn't tap out. The referee stopped the match. What they don't realize, maybe because of their youth, is that every time you get hit, you lose something."
    he also chats about the end of his career. interesting stuff.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-be-remembered
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    he also chats about the end of his career. interesting stuff.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-be-remembered
    It's an interesting perspective. I think the majority of the time if you're compus mentis enough to be debating whether you should tap or not, you're also compus mentis enough to think about trying to escape/improve your position/defend. The ref steps in when you can't do the defending anymore. How many times have you seen guys in severely rough spots, who managed to come back and win? Whilst there's congnitive thought left in me I'm going to use it to fight/survive.

If you're taking alot of damage and can't defend yourself then I can't see why people have a problem with tapping to strikes, rather than potentially taking further unnecessary punishment and potential injury. Live to fight another day! I think most guys who frown upon it have probably never competed in any combat sport. Imo it takes incredible courage to even step in to the ring/cage, I hate the fact that fighters get shit on because they look to get out of there when all they are doing is taking damage. It's a sport after all, not a punch up!
    Last edited by Jonny Ninja; 10-01-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    it's an interesting perspective. I think the majority of the time if you're compus mentis enough to be debating whether you should tap or not, you're also compus mentis enough to think about trying to escape/improve your position/defend. The ref steps in when you can't do the defending anymore. How many times have you seen guys in severely rough spots, who managed to come back and win? Whilst there's congnitive thought left in me i'm going to use it to fight/survive.
    yorkshire yorkshire yorkshire yorkshire!

Quote Originally Posted by sol_dave View Post
    yorkshire yorkshire yorkshire yorkshire!
    I'm not a professional fighter, I'm a:

That record of 101-19-7 is just brilliant!

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

he'd be Dan Severn 500 if they knew the truth[/con air]
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

He should actually move into films with Don Frye

He could play stunt double for Tom Selleck.

Or Freddie Mercury. Ask Tank Abbott...
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative