Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colossal Concerns: MMA VS BOXING

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    Fighting on a European stage is a high level.

If we talk semantics, I could play football for Rotherham and this would be classed as a 'high level' of football though they're not in the Premier League, they will always be better than your Suttons, Aldershots and then lower down towards grass roots sunday morning teams. The Premier league could be if you like the elite level (UFC?), the best in the world, which is something you don't need to be to be at the high level. Does my example seem prudent to my argument?
    If he fights on high level shows it doesn't automatically make him a high level fighter though?

Bob Sapp fights on high level shows!

I would like to see James headline some UK shows against some of the best UK guys but i'm guessing there are better paydays elsewhere so would probably not make the best financial sense to him?
    Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer

Quote Originally Posted by THE EQUALIZER View Post
    If he fights on high level shows it doesn't automatically make him a high level fighter though?

I would like to see James headline some UK shows against some of the best UK guys but i'm guessing there are better paydays elsewhere so would probably not make the best financial sense to him?
    I never said that anywhere in that statement, I cross referenced a semantic and made it a little clearer or at least I thought I did, not about being on the bigger shows but about competing against better people, like the higher the football league the better the opposition?

If he can get paid a wedge for fighting abroad theres no need for him to fight on domestic shows getting paid peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by brashleyholland View Post
    I think there's a separation that needs to be made between 'high level' and 'highest level'.

Unquestionably, the UFC is the highest level in the sport. Respectfully, and I think James himself would agree, at this point James isn't at a level to be mixing it up with the Overeems, Velasquez' and JDS's of the world. Outside that you've got a smattering of guys fighting on Bellator, M-1 etc who could probably get in on the bottom rung of the UFC's heavyweight division.

But looking at the average MMA fighter in the talent pool, especially at heavyweight, it's tough to say that James hasn't competed at a high level.

We're talking what, 25-30 guys in the UFC heavyweight division, with perhaps another 20 who could feasibly get a shot there at this moment in time? Surely we're not saying that anyone who isn't amongst the top fifty HW fighters on the entire planet isn't high level?
    I think this and the points made about 4 posts up are fair

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    I never said that anywhere in that statement, I cross referenced a semantic and made it a little clearer or at least I thought I did, not about being on the bigger shows but about competing against better people, like the higher the football league the better the opposition?

If he can get paid a wedge for fighting abroad theres no need for him to fight on domestic shows getting paid peanuts.
    Without dissecting his opponentss record's, over his career, it is hard to say whether the level of guys he has faced has been high. Also, there is an argument that he may have been a high level MMA fighter (i.e Pride days) but isn't now?. Not saying i'm of that opinion just that's what people may think?
    Last edited by THE EQUALIZER; 16-01-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THE EQUALIZER View Post

No it doesn't and even though he is an expection like Sapp who does fights on large shows and at one point has decent wins before he tapped out to life/MMA

Why ? I mean I would like I said early in this thread of the other Stav and Grove 100% but the way you phrased it was like I shouldn't be on higher level shows maybe I'm reading to much into your post and being paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Megapunk View Post
    No it doesn't and even though he is an expection like Sapp who does fights on large shows and at one point has decent wins before he tapped out to life/MMA

Why ? I mean I would like I said early in this thread of the other Stav and Grove 100% but the way you phrased it was like I shouldn't be on higher level shows maybe I'm reading to much into your post and being paranoid.
    Nah, never thought you shouldn't be on big show's at all, only that I would like to see you fight in the UK against some UK guys but realise that the pay is not as much. Sapp was just used as an example.

Just my paranoid brain kicking in than. Yeah I would to but like you said no money in UK mma sadly

Yeah I agree. It's very hardto say I just found David very disrespectful and stupid. Saying things like "Tyson Fury would KO you in boxing " Yeah you think Dave, what a genius you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Megapunk View Post
    Yeah I agree. It's very hardto say I just found David very disrespectful and stupid. Saying things like "Tyson Fury would KO you in boxing " Yeah you think Dave, what a genius you are.
    Dont listen to anyone whos nasty etc the thing is these days almost everyone's a local superstar with there local shows and matchmakers feeding there Ego by feeding them weak opponents with all there little wannabe fan boy hang ons and slags chatting them up at events etc not calling anyone's gf or wife im talking about the type of girls we all know try to surround themselves with mma fighters for the pure purpose of been with a name. uk ufc fighters come and go very fast these days only a select special few have what it takes to be considered a serious top 20 contender. Hell they are better then anything i could dream of but its true. You my friend fought in pride the cream of the crop a lot of the hate will come from guys who know they will never fight in pride as it is gone. Your style may not be of a jitz master or flashy etc but you did the job and you did yourself and your country proud. You helped put this country on the map in pride and for that you are a legend who in my eyes can be mentioned in the same breath as the freemans pearsons Bispings and hardys. and even Rosi Sexton. Now i totally understand your looking to get paid and rightly so you have earned that right your now 34 and i do not blame you one bit. You got on pride without any ultimate fighter and without all the flashy managers and cash under the table jobs that go on today. How many on the uk circuit today can say they went over there and fought in possibly the greatest limited rules fighting sport in the world. You went in there with stomps and soccer kicks allowed can you honestly imagine how many mma fighters in the uk would honestly compete pro rules if them pride rules was in force today? my guess is at least 20% would seriously think twice about it them rules was brutal and the fact you showed no fear in doing it says you are a high level fighter till the day you retire. Stay strong big guy you did good.

Edit i said almost so im not knocking those top uk guys who do mix with each other.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 17-01-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks m8, but I listen to everyone. I don't take it to heart like I've done in the passed. But I listen that why (trying not to sound like a hippy vega, in yoga pants) I can grow as a person and a fighter (shit I sounded like a hippy, vegan in yoga pants)