Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bisping losing his sheen

Anyone else think Vitor looked a little HGH'y / Test'y ?
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore

Vitor doesnt do gear like Lance Armstrong doesnt do gear...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Exile View Post
    Partly the spitting but I could get past that if it was a one off. His attitude towards Mattt Hamill throughout TUF up to the London fight; his obsession with smack talk and generally belittling the competition suggests a preferred style. I know a lot of boxers and other MMA guys do it, but for me it doesn't sit well with going mainstream and being a role model for kids. At my grandson's football the other week, his team narrowly lost to a last minute penalty and as they were shaking hands one of the kids on the other team said to one of his team mates (not the one who had conceded the penalty by the way) "You're a fucking idiot".
    The week before, they won 4-0 and at the handshake one of the kids on the other team went out of his way to call my grandson "specky" in reference to his glasses (presumably because he was pissed off at him scoring 2 goals and hoping to provoke a reaction and make him look bad). It's difficult to stamp that kind of thing out when you've got a professional sportsman calling his opponent a penis and suggesting he lacks masculinity

That being said, it wouldn't upset me if he did win a title shot and eventually a title. if he's good enough he deserves to have that. It's just that I'd rather he learnt to drop the smacktalk before he achieves it or alternatively that a less smacktalk orientated fighter was the first British UFC champ
    One involves Adults and one involves Children or minors.

One is a non-contact sport the other is a contest to stop their opponent by brutal means.

Not really the same.
    Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer

Quote Originally Posted by THE EQUALIZER View Post
    One involves Adults and one involves Children or minors.

One is a non-contact sport the other is a contest to stop their opponent by brutal means.

Not really the same.
    It's not the same but kids do watch MMA and therefore will use fighters as role models. The point is that if a sport wants to go mainstream, it needs to address unsportsmanlike conduct wherver it occurs. Football has had its own problems at an adult professional level in recent months which also involves pointless name-calling (and worse) and rightly led to serious concerns being expressed. If pro MMA fighters behave like those footballers did, it will have an impact on kinds who are interested in MMA. Do you really want to see two ten year olds at a grappling tournament trying to wind each other up before they get on the mat because they think it's part of the game?

If you want to argue that MMA or boxing is a sport and not two thugs brawling in a cage it's hard to see where the name-calling, smack talk etc fits in. If it's a sport all that matters is the strategy and the physical stuff in the ring or the cage. I
    Last edited by Shaolin Exile; 20-01-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Exile View Post
    It's not the same but kids do watch MMA and therefore will use fighters as role models. The point is that if a sport wants to go mainstream, it needs to address unsportsmanlike conduct wherver it occurs. Football has had its own problems at an adult professional level in recent months which also involves pointless name-calling (and worse) and rightly led to serious concerns being expressed. If pro MMA fighters behave like those footballers did, it will have an impact on kinds who are interested in MMA. Do you really want to see two ten year olds at a grappling tournament trying to wind each other up before they get on the mat because they think it's part of the game?

If you want to argue that MMA or boxing is a sport and not two thugs brawling in a cage it's hard to see where the name-calling, smack talk etc fits in. If it's a sport all that matters is the strategy and the physical stuff in the ring or the cage. I
    Smack talking is all part of the game and isn't really evident in sports like Football, rarely you would see someone talk shit about someone before a match happens for the risk of looking stupid.

Considering MMA is alot different there are less stories doing the rounds about MMA fighters than footballers, in my eyes they conduct themselves in a far better way.

If Bisping had started slagging Belfort post fight then I could understand your concern but pre fight it's all part and parcel of the business, obtain an advantage in anyway possible (legal of course) and sell the fight the best you can.
    Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer

Another loss to another TRT user. Bisping needs to get on the gear to compete with that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    He's beaten nobody, beating the guy who's 9th in the world doesn't mean you deserve a title fight.

Who's he beat... Josh Haynes? Eric Schafer? Levi's Sinosic? Charles McCarthy? Jason Day, Mayhem Miller and Jorge Rivera...

Where are these guys?
    Akiyama, Kang, Miller, Stann, Leben?

tbh thought bisping looked tentative engaging with belfort, no surprise mind you given his repeated history of rendering people unconscious but i look forward to seeing results of any testing cos when i seen belforts vascularity walking into cage immediately thought he'd been using. But even if he fails a test and it was ruled a no contest they could never sell Bisping for a title shot. As for the smack talk its funny to a point but sometimes looks too rehearsed but the main thing i think that will hold mma back in terms of mass appeal in light of lance armstrongs case is drug abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnfitOne View Post
    Anyone else think Vitor looked a little HGH'y / Test'y ?
    Yes, I bet Vitor was bang on or near the 6:1 ratio limit.

When the UFC stage an event in Brazil, who does the dope testing?

I was disappointed in Bispings performance. He's a better fighter than that. I really thought that if he could have taken Vitor to the later rounds he would have been able to grind out a decision or even score a KO.