Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Debut Fighters Diary

Default A Debut Fighters Diary

I thought I'd start a blog/diary leading up to my debut amateur mma bout. I havnt seen anything like this online and thought it might be good for anyone thinking of fighting or anyone interested in mma/sports in general to read. Il be documenting all my thoughts, feelings, diet and pretty much anything else that I think people might be interested in. I'm going to update daily starting tomorrow. Until then here is a brief into about me.

I train at one gym in the north of England with a good reputation and a fight team that includes a few pros, and some great semi pros. It is a family run gym and the head coach is a very well known and respected among uk mma.

I have been training at is gym since January 2012, before that I trained for a year in kickboxing, points and continuous based (head guard,shin guards etc). I am a white belt with one stripe in bjj.

My first fight is at 94kg (light heavyweight) and I am currently 96kg. The date for my fight is the 24th February so just over 3 weeks away. It is amatuer C level (no headshots) and is on a grass roots level day show, with a pro show on the night.

I'm not going to name gyms/promotions/brands etc or post pics on here as this blog is not about promoting anything, just a guide of sorts for people and something to keep me focused on my training. If you want to know about me, the gym I train at or the promotion I am fighting on then I have a twitter account that you can follow.

Sooooo, the history so far.........
    I mentioned to my coach that I wanted to eventually fight in around march 2012. He told me that he would gladly put my name forward, but only when I'm ready. I knew I wasn't ready at that point. I'm a very competitive person and wanted to fight to win. Fast forward to the gyms Christmas night out, and over a few drinks, my coach tells me that in the new year, he would look to get me matched up. I felt nervous but excited. All the other fighters were really enthusiastic about it. This just made me more excited. Then onto 17th December (a few days later) I got a text off my coach saying he may have a fight for me and asked if I'd be interested.
    Told him I would be. It would be 3x3 minutes, amateur c, at 94 kg. he warned me if we accept there backing out unless I got injured "JUST TO BE CLEAR".

We accepted. From New Year's Day till now I have not drank any alcohol and have tried to eat clean. I have struggled not so much wi the lack of alcohol but I love food. The tastier the better. The tastier the more unhealthy :/ it is now just under 3 weeks till the fight and I'm picking up the intensity and so will update daily.

I'm not nervous at all at the minute, but this will change I'm sure.

I will update tomorrow with tonight's training details and thoughts.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope this helps someone other than just me.

Naughty Goose

Twitter @ricbrad
    Last edited by Naughtygoose; 31-01-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Good luck, mate
    "When you're not training; somebody else is training to kick your ass."
    Part of Team Savage. Trained by Alex 'The Boy' Owen:
    http://www.teamsavage.co.uk/

Thanks mate
    Twitter @ricbrad

Feb 1st

Last nights training was a lot of striking and wrestling skills. 2 and a half hours worth. We worked on my weaknesses and I'm feeling a little more confident with them. I know what drills I need to do to improve them. One of the pro fighters who I will dub, Mr X, showed us a technique that he had learnt recently and had used it to great affect. We linked that in with previously learnt techniques and how to link them. I think tonight has shown me that you never stop learning. Even Mr X is still learning all the time. We finished off by discussing what we had learned and how it fits in to different situations.

Got home, had a protein shake and a hot bath. Ive got a few aches and niggles that i saw to. Then made myself some steamed veg and chicken for tea before going straight to bed in an exhausted heap.

Today I've woke up, had a lean bacon sandwich on brown bread for breakfast, an apple to snack on and 3 scrambled eggs on toast. Just about to head out to the gym for more training. Just doing an hour tonight. I'm still feeling confident and the nerves haven't hit yet.

I am on a ticket deal for my fight. I am lucky enough to have quite a lot of support with family and friends. At the minute I have sold 23 tickets a few more being sold tonight at training. My family are very supportive, though my mum does not like what I do. She has said on many occasions that she thinks its barbaric (the only fights she had seen at that point were some pretty nasty UFC bouts). I showed her some amatuer c fights from the show I'm fighting on and she was slowly coming round to the idea and even bought a ticket. Unfortunately she watched the mma fighters wives on channel 5 the other night, and she has her reservations again. I guess I'll just have to see how she feels the week before the fight.

The support I'm getting is quite overwhelming. It's great to know I've got people behind me, although a few people have brought it to my attention that if I win it will be great and an awesome night with everyone being the......... What happens if I lose. I know that everyone understands its my first fight, but I hate losing against my missus at monopoly when nobody's watching so to lose in front of friends and family would be disastrous. I guess I'll just have to use that to focus and train harder.

Right, I'm off training and I'll update again tomorrow.

Oh yeah, if you have any specific questions or think that it would be good for me to include anything else in this just let me know.
    Twitter @ricbrad

2nd Feb

Mma training last night with some rolling at the end. Concentrated on my submission game and drilling the basics. Having the day off today. I'm training 4 times a week, break on Wednesdays and the weekend.
    Not much else to report, still dealing confident, no nerves. Ill update again after training Monday.
    Twitter @ricbrad

5th Feb
    After a few days rest from training I was bak at it yesterday and today. Felt good yesterday and confident but today I've ha an off day. During sparring my game had gone to pieces and I felt like I'd taken 1 step forward and 4 steps back. Forgetting basic techniques and getting pissed of with myself about it. The head coach could see this and promptly gave me a rollicking for forgetting to do what I learnt the first day of training. We were sparring on the mat and I just couldn't for whatever reason get my head round it. So one of the more experienced fighters offered to spar in the cage with me. The head coach and the fighter told me to remember the basics and get my head right, and the best place to do it is in the cage.

I took 2 minutes to refocus and had my best sparring session of the day in the cage, feeling 10 times better about it. Then in the final round of sparring I took the same mentality with me and did tons better.

I think I have been overconfident and the sparring really brought me back down to earth. I have learnt today that no matter what your skills if you aren't in the right frame of mind then you've already lost!! It's the same with other sports. When I used to play football I would always convince myself that I was better than my opponent because I would out work them and do the basics better than them. Same thing applies in mma. Get the basics right and I won't go far wrong at this level, try and be fancy and be blasť about the basics, you're going to lose.

So here are a few points I have learnt over the passed week;

1)don't forget the basics
    2)don't be over confident/cocky
    3)be better than your opponent by working harder
    4)get your fucking head in order
    5)cardio cardio cardio cardio cardio!!!!!!if your blowing out of your arse then your body won't do what your head tells it to do.(learnt this when I first started but it should be fundamental to any sport)

Finally, weighed myself after training at 93.4kg. Just need to keep the weight off now, which sounds tons better than my friend who is 77kg (he's fighting at 70kg in 2 weeks)
    Twitter @ricbrad

Had to take a little time of training for personal issues, not the best timing 2 weeks before the fight but tonight was my first night back. Felt a bit more tired than usual but not out of shape.worked on technique and my weaknesses again before some sparring/rolling at the end.still felt good at the end.everyone is still asking if I'm feeling nerves but I can honestly say I'm not. I've got a great team behind me and their confidence feeds mine. One o our other fighters has taken a fight on the same card so there's now 4 of us fighting. Should be a good night!!!
    Twitter @ricbrad

I support you man best of luck.

It's pancake day!!!and after weighing in after training at 92.5kg,I think I deserve a treat!
    Anyway, training felt real good tonight.today was the first day I got butterfly's and felt the nerves. I tried to use that to focus and it felt natural.iv done this before in other sports (tho someone wasn't trying to choke u unconscious on the football pitch).
    Another problem I've come accross is the fear of getting hurt.i think everyone from amatuer to pro fighters probably feel this at some point.i got caught with a right cross that bust my lip and I just told myself to push through.u can't fear pain,uv got to almost welcome it and use it motivate to try harder.altho I've got a bust lip and a sore neck and knee I feel that I got a lot more out of tonight than I have in a while.

My mum is coming round to the idea of watching me fight which was a welcome bonus. We spoke briefly today about it and she seems a lot more keen saying 'well if your going to do it I want you to know I support you'.

All in all a good day.

Anyway must go,iv got a date with 4 pancakes
    Twitter @ricbrad

It turns out that checking a kick with your knee is not the best idea.spent most of yesterday icing my balloon shaped knee.still it wasn't as bad as the other guys shin!!but I digress.....

After a few too many pancakes and to be honest,a food cheat day yesterday whilst recovering (I hate it but I fucking love fatty food) I'm now at 95kg........but the fights just over a week away and 1kg to lose wont be too hard.i guess I need to be more strict with myself.

Onto tonight's session. I have found that more and more of the fighters are partnering me in training and sparring than usual.....which is good for my technique just not for my looks.one in particular is pushing me harder and harder,can't complain,I asked him to and its doing me the world of good.i was battered around tonight quite a bit but Its exactly what I need.im learning not to fear being hit hard and hurt,its gonna happen,so its good I'm getting used to it.

After an hour of stand up it was time for some specific groundwork drills and certain,nasty,escapes from submission.
    Followed by a quick talk about what we learned from tonight.

All in all,a good session and my confidence is still growing.
    Twitter @ricbrad