Thread: What's with all the semi/am fights on shows?

Hybrid View

Default What's with all the semi/am fights on shows?

Considering the growth and improvement in standard of uk mma shows in recent years, with lots of shows hosting only pro fights or a small undercard of amateur fights - why are some promoters refusing to keep up?
    The aforementioned type of promotions have proved it's viable to construct cards of good quality fights - why do others refuse to follow suit in a competitive environment?
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Money..makes the world go round. It's a balancing act. Good question though Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Fight UK View Post
    Money..makes the world go round. It's a balancing act. Good question though Mark.
    yeah but alot of these shows also charge the same ticket price as all pro shows

The show I'm fighting on is all amatuer and its billed as such to help grassroots mma.its a day show with the night show after being semi pro and pro fights.i think its good as it helps people wanting to start competing as we will fight in a great venue. We r payed with a ticket deal and everyone who buys one is made aware that it is an amatuer show.

But I do agree,putting on am fights on a pro show is a bit naughty when ppl have paid thinking theyr going to see an all pro show.
    Twitter @ricbrad

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtygoose View Post

But I do agree,putting on am fights on a pro show is a bit naughty when ppl have paid thinking theyr going to see an all pro show.
    Well thats not entirely true, if you pay 30 for a ticket and the website/forum/fight card/info says 10 Pro fights plus 7 Amateur fights they should be well aware. If the poster doesn't mention amateur fights or pro fights for that matter and just plays the 'British title fight', then imo a punter should do their homework or fully expect to see whoever comes out from behind the curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    Considering the growth and improvement in standard of uk mma shows in recent years, with lots of shows hosting only pro fights or a small undercard of amateur fights - why are some promoters refusing to keep up?
    The aforementioned type of promotions have proved it's viable to construct cards of good quality fights - why do others refuse to follow suit in a competitive environment?
    I feel there are lots of added risks is hosting a full pro card, from an injury perspective and a match making one. Match making 2 amateurs guys who have only competed a couple of times is not as difficult as the pros and easier to fill should there be a drop out. The fights can also be just as exciting. That said the promotion shoult stipulated that its an amateur card so the punters know. I would imagine a high percentage of spectators are frineds and family of the fighters anyway.

On a slightly different note, its a really nice opportunity for less experienced guys to be around more professional fighters and organisation etc. Cage Warriors often host a few amateur bouts before the pre lims and those select few get to step out in a big cage, bright lights, cameras etc...very valuable experience if you want to make a career of it.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

James Lake - Event Co-ordinator / Business Development

I agree that having Ammy's on the undercard at the likes of Cagewarriors will give them a massive boost by competing in the same environment as the top Pro guys.

Show's that have multiple Combat disciplines in a Cage and too many meaningless titles and rules that's a personal bugbear of mine. Oh, and don't forget the random Catchweight's, normally for no apparent reason.
    www.ontoppromotions.co.uk - MMA Promotion/Fighter Management

It's all about the matchmaking anyway. With 2 or 3 ammy fights on a 12-15 fight card, you can't really feel ripped off, and it also serves as a nice little preview to who might be turning pro in the near future.
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.