Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules Meeting

Default Rules Meeting

Quick question if someone wouldn't mind.

Do MMA shows still have rules meetings before hand that all fighters have to attend?

Any show that I've worked on do.
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

Quote Originally Posted by The Gimp View Post
    Any show that I've worked on do.
    Thanks. Do you know why that is?

Just wondering why there are rules meetings nowadays. Surely everyone knows what rules they are fighting under.

I always found it odd anyway when shows have a number of different rule sets and take the time to explain them to the fighters who surely should know them before agreeing to the fight. Then the paying punter comes in and it's announced as a amateur/semi-pro/C class/B class/A class/pro fight without any or very little explanation.

I can understand why they were held in the good old days as the rules seemed to change from event to event but are they really still needed?

yes. people are fucking retarded
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Many other good reasons like debut fighters neeed to be told before hand not to hold on to the fence. Ref gets to reinforce not to argue with a decision in the cage. Corner men told not to enter the cage at the end, until told to do so, after medics are in if applicable etc.
    Mike "the mic" Persil

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Persil View Post
    Many other good reasons like debut fighters neeed to be told before hand not to hold on to the fence. Ref gets to reinforce not to argue with a decision in the cage. Corner men told not to enter the cage at the end, until told to do so, after medics are in if applicable etc.
    Whether you're a debut fighter or not though, shouldn't you know the rules you have agreed to fight under? Also why should the ref need to reinforce not to argue etc.

I'm leaning more towards david5's response.

There are still differences in the rules from show to show, some use elbows some don't, some shows still use semi pro rules while others use amateur rules (unified, C class etc).

Its a chance for officials to introduce themselves to fighters and corners and for doctors, promoters and MC's to talk through their requirements and go through the running order. In my experience shows that don't have rules meeting tend to turn into a shambles with people not knowing what's going on.

Rules meeting aren't just about rules.

All pro shows where everyone is under contract tend to be slightly different as agreements have been made at the time of signing so everyone knows what they should be doing.

Yep, some people are just retarded.
    Rob McCrum, Pro BW. www.bjjscotland.co.uk

I've seen a lot of rules meetings, but I don't think I've ever seen one where the entire unified rules are discussed point by point. In my experience, it's a chance for the refs to remind fighters of the professionalism that is expected of them, emphasise some often forgotten basics and give fighters a chance to ask questions.

It's also a chance to confirm the processes for wrapping hands, cut men, corners, gloves, medicals etc. With many of these being different from show to show, I think rules meetings are still absolutely an essential part of any event.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

Some people are retarded and also some rules on shows are just made up half the time.

Can't remember what show it was but i remember one time as a rules talk was starting, the ref has a quick skim through the rules for the show and the look on his face was a sort of "are you for real" expression.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency