Thread: WMMA here to stay?

Hybrid View

Default WMMA here to stay?

UFC have apparently added a WMMA bout to the TUF 17 Finale, with Miesha Tate (13-3) taking on Cat Zingano (7-0)

Dann Stupp @MMAjunkieDann

TUF 17 Finale adds @CatZingano vs.@MieshaTate? Color me surprised they actually booked another W
    MMA bout. Hope to see more.

Dann Stupp @MMAjunkieDann

@TimWMMAToday @CatZingano @MieshaTate UFC officially announced. (On Twitter a few minutes ago.)

One would assume that they're putting their eggs in the basket of Rousey winning. Gotta have someone to fight her in the summer. With Cyborg looking less and less likely, a challenger has to come from somewhere.

As for WMMA being here to stay (assuming you mean in the UFC)... If Carmouche and Zingano win, can anyone seriously see that fight headlining a UFC card? Fuel, maybe?
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

It's quite clear that Dana views this as the Rousey Division. Especially as he'd said that women would never fight in the octagon.
    If she loses, or the buy rate in two weeks time isn't impressive I see him losing interest very quickly.
    With Cyborg requesting to be let out of her contract there's only a couple of girls left they could put in there with Rousey as credible title defences.

Shame really as when done right women's mma can be great. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I don't think it's going to happen, but the only reasonable way this question could be debated is if Rousey losses. As long as Rousey is champ, the women's division is going to be sticking around in the UFC.

If Carmouche were to somehow tip over the apple card and upset Rousey, then this is a legit question to ask.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

I just thought they'd keep the Champion and just bring people in on one fight deals unless they won the strap. The Cyborg fight isn't happening, Gina doesn't look like making a return, I'd prefer to just leave the women with Invicta (not a sexist FIY).