Thread: How hard is it to get sponsors?

Hybrid View

Default How hard is it to get sponsors?

I have been fighting since 2010 and i have fought for a few big shows but i still dont have any sponsors. Does anyone else have this problem. I Know amatuer fighters with more sponsors than me. I have a 3 mouthguard and old boxing gloves and no nice gear to train with. Any help would be nice
    Pro 2-0,Semi-Pro 3-1,Am 6-1-1 Height 5ft 10 Weight 70kg

Problem is that there has to be a reason to sponsor you. Are people likely to see the company's logo on you, are you going to talk about them sponsoring you in the local paper, etc, etc. Essentially, for a company it is a form of advertising and every time they advertise they need to ask themselves: 'Will I get out more than I put in?' If the answer is no, they won't bother.

My advice would be to approach clothing companies and sports shops telling them you'll pimp their gear and small local businesses telling them that you'll mention them in the paper every opportunity you get and wear a shirt on fight night with their logo on. If you secure one, make sure you make it worth their while to keep on investing in you.

Good luck, dude!
    "When you're not training; somebody else is training to kick your ass."
    Part of Team Savage. Trained by Alex 'The Boy' Owen:
    http://www.teamsavage.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Leon212 View Post
    I have been fighting since 2010 and i have fought for a few big shows but i still dont have any sponsors. Does anyone else have this problem. I Know amatuer fighters with more sponsors than me. I have a 3 mouthguard and old boxing gloves and no nice gear to train with. Any help would be nice
    It's all about marketability... Leeroy Barnes gets so many sponsors because he reps a brand.

Love them or hate them he does diet blogs repping Bodyactive's products, training blogs and like a show and tell feature on new Sandee gloves from Fight Shop, two more of his sponsors, Jaco is clearly visible on his fight shorts that are given or were given to him by MMA Apparel. He gets himself into positions were he can rep a sponsor (interviews etc).

It all adds up as Nak says.

*Sorry Lee for using you as an example, take it as a compliment *

Good advice above.

Also - Nightclubs and Bars are also worth contacting. They tend to be a little more accepting of the 'Cage Fighting' moniker and if you have a decent following, you can promise them you'll drag tons of your mates to their club / bar after the event. Again, mention them in the paper, etc.
    "When you're not training; somebody else is training to kick your ass."
    Part of Team Savage. Trained by Alex 'The Boy' Owen:
    http://www.teamsavage.co.uk/

Thanks for all the advice. I have fought on Facebook,Setanta and Russian TV so that is alot of viewers.
    Pro 2-0,Semi-Pro 3-1,Am 6-1-1 Height 5ft 10 Weight 70kg

I fought in a co-main event that was apparently viewed on Brazilian TV by over a million people and I didn't get a financial sponsor for anything there, but that's because any UK companies sponsoring me for that didn't stand to gain much/anything from a load of Brazilians seeing it.

It's all about how you can market it to people that will buy products etc. so they can get a return on investment, as well as the positive exposure.

Very, very few UK companies sponsor people financially, you're very lucky if they do. Even training gear and supps can be hard to come by, but I've been lucky in that respect. Social media is huge these days - be active, and be a person that brings benefit to a company.

Top tip. When being interviewed by anyone any time do not say "I would like to thank my sponsors" and just leave it at that, a lot of guys do, a sponsor wants to be named. You can thank god on Sunday and your mates anytime, Saturday nights for fighting and bigging up the people that enable you to do it, especially if there's a camera in your face.

i know of one fighter that started to promote his friends business FOC, during interviews he talked about them as if they were in the gym with him every day. When he went to other companies to sponsor him he showed them video of how he promoted his backers, he found it easier to get sponsorship after that.

good luck with your search.

Finding exactly the same problem myself.