Thread: Martial Arts experience but not mma can i still have a amateur fight?

Hybrid View

Default Martial Arts experience but not mma can i still have a amateur fight?

im now 21, done boxing in my teens and done combat sambo, but no mma experience can i still have amateur bouts? advice and help would be much appreciated
    Last edited by jordoncutter; 13-02-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Combat sambo and boxing is a good foundation for mma.but if you were put on your back with a guy in your guard what would you do?if he went for an armbar would you know how to defend it?or if you were on top would you know how to submit the guy?
    I'm not saying this to deter you at all but the majority of amatuer fights end up on the ground where a good bjj game is paramount!
    I'd join a gym with a good reputation that trains in mma where you can develop your ground game and compliment your stand up game.
    I had done kickboxing before and went through the same process and now my ground game is up to speed. Hope this helps mate
    Twitter @ricbrad

In amateur he is probably going to try get on top of you so just drill the crap out of sweeps and escapes from guard side control and mount its really up to you what you do but if you have a decent boxing back ground id go straight to semi pro so you can at least play to your strengths. Before you do this though just ask yourself if you are confident in your technique if you are then just get yourself to the point where you feel fit enough for war and try get a fair match up and if possible against someone with weak wrestling. Getting a fair match up is half the battle.

If he goes straight to semi pro the guys are gonna be even more brutal on the ground.i wouldn't even think of competing at all till uv worked on ur ground game.
    Twitter @ricbrad

You do quite alot of grappling in sambo, fighting from top position and bottom but would i be better of training in bjj as well?

Yes mate.bjj is a must really
    Twitter @ricbrad

sambo would help though lol

Quote Originally Posted by jordoncutter View Post
    sambo would help though lol
    If I was you I'd get some no gi training in. I done sambo & it takes time to adapt your techniques when you've no gi to work with.

It would mate but u need to know submissions,transitions,sweeps etc.the more u do the better ul become
    Twitter @ricbrad