Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ufc uk

Default Ufc uk

Just wondering whether anyone can shed some light on this please

Saw on twitter yesterday that UFC had signed a deal with Sky Sports but didnt see much else except that one tweet. Anyone know if its true?

I also saw that there are looking to hold four events in the UK every year as a minimum

I woulda thought everyone would be talking about this but havent seen much on it

Iirc the UFCs contract with ESPN expires in August. There were rumors of it then moving to Sky, but I don't think there's been anything announced yet.

If they do 4 shows a year in the UK, hopefully they won't litter it with English fighters and we'll get more fights like the Barao vs McDonald and Swanson vs Priorier fight.

Dana at the post fight said that they are working on bringing regular shows, also Gary Cook is working on the TV deal and they are close to announcing something - I imagine it will be Sky, rumours are already flying around, plus if they going to re-up with ESPN I'd have thought they would just say. Also - Sky I don't think broadcast UCMMA now and were the UFC not a bit meh about being on a channel that broadcasts other promotions, reckon this cleared the way maybe?

As for quality of fighters, I think the fact the UK is shite for PPV for the UFC we will always get 2nd tier cards with a smattering of serious talent, plus the more shows they do, I imagine they will hoover up local talent which to me, isn't a bad thing, the more UK lads who get a chance to compete at that level the better, some will make it, some will fall by the wayside but hopefully it will open the doors to actually get them in and give them that chance.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

People moaning about UK fighters fighting on UK shows. Where do you expect them to fight?

first step to a PPV signing with sky

Quote Originally Posted by iandean View Post
    People moaning about UK fighters fighting on UK shows. Where do you expect them to fight?
    I don't mind seeing some British fighters on the UK cards, but we get shit on compared to the rest of the world that gets big name fights, title fights etc etc.

I'd like to see an Anderson Silva, GSP, Jose Aldo, Dan Henderson, JDS blah blah blah come and fight over here.

That will be me back to streaming then. I aint paying for Sky for one frigging channel!
    Advertising & Promotions manager
    Hybrid Fight Team

www.hybridfighters.co.uk
    Email - info@hybrid-fighters.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    I don't mind seeing some British fighters on the UK cards, but we get shit on compared to the rest of the world that gets big name fights, title fights etc etc.

I'd like to see an Anderson Silva, GSP, Jose Aldo, Dan Henderson, JDS blah blah blah come and fight over here.
    But they are major income generators on PPV, the UK because of the time difference is piss poor for generating PPV and whilst we may get one or two star names, we will never have an uber stacked card for that reason alone.

Besides, Hendo has fought over here, against Rampage at UFC 75. We have had some decent names over here to be fair, but I don't expect every card to be littered with stars, I kind of like seeing british talent on a UFC card, everyone has to start somewhere on the big show and if this is the foot in the door, then so be it, sometimes someone low down on a card will be a star in the future, we can't predict who but its nice to say I saw so and so back in the day (MMA Hipster style - you can also then proclaim to hate them now they have blown up)
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    But they are major income generators on PPV, the UK because of the time difference is piss poor for generating PPV and whilst we may get one or two star names, we will never have an uber stacked card for that reason alone.
    I don't like this reason, we tune in at 2am every weekend, so what they have to tune in in the evening, especially at a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Besides, Hendo has fought over here, against Rampage at UFC 75. We have had some decent names over here to be fair, but I don't expect every card to be littered with stars, I kind of like seeing british talent on a UFC card, everyone has to start somewhere on the big show and if this is the foot in the door, then so be it, sometimes someone low down on a card will be a star in the future, we can't predict who but its nice to say I saw so and so back in the day (MMA Hipster style - you can also then proclaim to hate them now they have blown up)
    I know he's fought here, but he hasn't since, he was just one of the examples I was using for 'top fighters', I appreciate what you're saying but 9/10 cards these days have big fights on them, we happen to be that 1/10 bar this past weekend.

Just an opinion brother, just an opinion.