Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ufc uk

I agree with you in that it would be great to have the stars, just I am trying to say I also understand why we won't, unless MMA PPV revenue in Europe explodes, the main PPV generator for MMA will be the States and due to the time difference, its known that daytime PPV in the States doesnt sell as well as evenings, so until the UK/Europe can match the PPV revenue stream, nothing will ever change. We tune in at 2am as its not costing us 30+ per event as it may if it went PPV. That or we can record and watch in the morning, which I often do unless its a whopper of a fight these days (I'm too old n shit to stay up late).
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    I agree with you in that it would be great to have the stars, just I am trying to say I also understand why we won't, unless MMA PPV revenue in Europe explodes, the main PPV generator for MMA will be the States and due to the time difference, its known that daytime PPV in the States doesnt sell as well as evenings, so until the UK/Europe can match the PPV revenue stream, nothing will ever change. We tune in at 2am as its not costing us 30+ per event as it may if it went PPV. That or we can record and watch in the morning, which I often do unless its a whopper of a fight these days (I'm too old n shit to stay up late).
    I agree that they may not do well enough numbers during the day but rather than start an event at 4:30 over here, start it at 6-7 and give us better fights, so what that the show may finish between midnight and 1am, look at boxing, sometimes the main event doesn't go on until midnight and that works. If they give us big enough names then yankees will tune in, or you'd expect them to if not they're lazy fucks

I would just always pick a foreign card over a UK card 10 times out of 10 which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    I don't mind seeing some British fighters on the UK cards, but we get shit on compared to the rest of the world that gets big name fights, title fights etc etc.

I'd like to see an Anderson Silva, GSP, Jose Aldo, Dan Henderson, JDS blah blah blah come and fight over here.
    I personally think the last card was a step in the right direction and had the perfect balance. It makes sense that the under card will be British/Irish/European fighters. It gives some of these guys a shot at the big time and most fans want to see local fighters, myself included. There was only 2 British fighters on the main card. This is how it should be until we have more world class fighters in the UK who have earned the right to be headlining an event, rather than being thrown on to the main card cus they are local.

All in all it was a very good event with some great fights on the main card, especially Te Hunas and Swansons fights.

Could be a matter of time until the UFC becomes truly global, with recognised "national" champions and the like. It's the logical next step for the sport in my opinion. Shows like these will enable quality domestic fighters to progress in an established company and could (should, in my opinion) provide the funding that enables a higher percentage of fighters to do what they do well as a profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    I agree that they may not do well enough numbers during the day but rather than start an event at 4:30 over here, start it at 6-7 and give us better fights, so what that the show may finish between midnight and 1am, look at boxing, sometimes the main event doesn't go on until midnight and that works. If they give us big enough names then yankees will tune in, or you'd expect them to if not they're lazy fucks
    Even a 1am finish is too early for PPV in the US. The time they use now is carefully picked because it's the only one that works for both US coasts, which themselves are split by a good few hours. The UFC have shown UK and EU events live in the US during the daytime before (both on PPV and free TV) and the ratings have been awful. People seemingly aren't willing to spend five hours of their Saturday afternoon watching fights, but they will make an evening of it. You also have the issue of all the sports websites, news channels, results tickers and social media spoiling the fights.

The only way it'd have worked over here, IMO, is if Bisping had managed to beat Dan Henderson and get his title shot in Manchester/London. If they could have sorted out the public transport situation (Manchester did it for Hatton), they could have done a 4am main event.

The UK market seems to have stagnated every so slightly for the UFC since then, and with Bisping and, Hardy, Pearson et al arguably some way away from title shots, I don't see it happening any time soon, if ever.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.