Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC cutting fighters

Default UFC cutting fighters

The UFC had another big cull this week and cut a few Brits as well as some big names.

Is it getting to the point now that Dana will ditch anyone who doesnt win or is it just lads who have lost in 'boring' fights?

Is it now win at all costs or does he still like a good split decision tear up?

Im sure he does, (and bonus's seem to point towards this), but if you lose the aforementioned tear up and then your next fight, there is a good chance you would get cut so has it become saftey first on the big show?

Its a long hard route back to the UFC if you get cut

Thoughts people...

They have to cut fighters, what other option have they got?

They cut fighters who lose mainly, along with fighters who have pissed them off for some reason and boring fighters. Again, what other option have they got?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Here are some fighters I would cut. Just went back over the past couple of events. All these guys are coming off losses.

HW - Shane del Rosario, Dave Herman
    LHW - Joey Beltran, Igor Pokrajac, Roger Hollett, Kyle Kingsbury, Brandon Vera
    MW - Sean Spencer, Chris Leben
    WW - John Macguire, Paulo Thiago
    LW - Yves Edwards, Lucas Martins, Thiago Tavares, Melvin Guillard, Vinc Pinchel, Jeremy Stephens, Mac Danzig
    FW - Leonard Garcia, Jonathan Brookins, Yaotzin Meza, Nam Phan, Rodrigo Damm
    BW - Edwin Figueroa, Chico Camus, Marcos Vinicius, NOrifumi Yamamoto, John Albert, Dustin Pague

There's another 29 the UFC can cut.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

I'd add Maximo Blanco, Codie McKenzie, John Cholish, Tiequan Zhang, Aaron Riley, Keith Wisniewski, Lance Benoist, Josh Neer,
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

The question was more about do you think the fighters are now going into bouts with the mindset of safety first rather than put on a show.

I know Dana always says he wants exciting fights but on the flip side if you lose those fights he wouldnt hesitate to cut you, (and let you find out via the media apparently).

I do agree with some of the names above and most who have been cut & yes I know they HAVE to cut fighters, just think it has become win at all costs now more than ever before...

After last night, I would cut Yuri Villefort, Jon Manley, Brock Jardine, Caros Fodor, Matt Grice (sucks cause it was such an awesome fight, but he is 2-5 in the UFC), Anton Kuivanen, and Josh Neer.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Quote Originally Posted by RKing85 View Post
    After last night, I would cut Yuri Villefort, Jon Manley, Brock Jardine, Caros Fodor, Matt Grice (sucks cause it was such an awesome fight, but he is 2-5 in the UFC), Anton Kuivanen, and Josh Neer.
    Yeah pretty much agree with those with the exception of Grice. Don't think he's going anywhere after a fight like that and Dana said last night that Grice's job is safe as well.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

The first cull recently acted as the warning to guys that being boring, dry humping and lay and praying is not acceptable.

Just imagine that you place of work said look guys were need to make big cuts, make sure that you give 100% heart and 100% effort. That is all he is wanting, he wants to maximise output from fighters so the first cut acts as the warning to others, also I think that by cutting Fitch was the statement he had to make for the guys who are further up the ladder that no-one was safe.

It wasn't done with no thinking attached, everything that was done and the timing was all planned to have maximum affect.

I think they as a business have a right for anyone with a contract to give it their absolute best.

If they want to make it more exciting they need to change the structure to make it more appealing to end the fight so they get their purse, win bonus then an accelerator attached that comes into play if the fight doesn't go to points
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Fighters should be under pressure to win, that's the whole aim of fighting. A fighter can never be exciting if you know they are gonna lose, no matter how they fight.

What they need to do to counter the boring fighters is give out a big %age of purse as a stoppage bonus. After all, the goal of MMA is to win by (T)KO or sub. Points just make it more easily marketable.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Like in Football where a Striker may get a Goal bonus. Fighters sole priority should be to end the fight within the distance. Some fights will always do to the judges as fights may well be so well matched or alot of the higher level Fly/Bantams but that would need to be factored into fighters overall deal.

It is the only way to push people to take risks and go for it
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!