Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva vs jon jones looks like it might be on.

Default Anderson Silva vs jon jones looks like it might be on.

Well, this has to be music to Dana White's surgically-repaired ears.

Reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva, who is also undefeated in three trips up to light heavyweight, has long insisted he would never consider fighting 205-pound champion and fellow pound-for-pound great Jon Jones.

But if he did...

"Spider" rep Jorge Guimar„es recently conceded to Globo's SporTV that it may be inevitable, but should it ever take place, it would have to be at a catchweight of 190 pounds with neither champion putting their title on the line. And while we're adding stipulations to help ensure the bout never takes place, let's also agree to hold it in one of the only places where mixed martial arts (MMA) is still illegal.

Brazil's SportTV talked to Anderson Silva's agent, Jorge Guimar„es and he said although nothing is confirmed, Silva vs. Jones is on the horizon. Anderson Silva also believes the fight shouldn't be for the belt (hence the catchweight). Jorge also confirmed that Anderson Silva will defend his title this Summer and a Jones/Silva superfight could happen later in the year, preferably in New York and only at a catchweight of 87kgs (which comes out to about 190 lbs).

Jones cutting to 190 pounds. Right.

Silva isn't going anywhere for the time being, as Chris Weidman has been campaigning long and hard for a crack at the middleweight crown. It looks like he'll finally get it, too, at the promotion's annual Fourth of July weekend extravaganza in Las Vegas, Nevada.

"Bones," meanwhile, will have hands hands full with Chael Sonnen until the end of April.

So, what's the verdict? Is this much ado about nothing? Or has the public outcry (and millions of dollars he claims he doesn't care about) started to convince him to at least consider it?

Source http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9NLf?u...m_campaign=mma

Never gonna happen. Neither fighter wants it. Silva will have couple more fights then retire. Hell push for the gsp superfight cos its a hell of a lot easier than the jones fight. Jones on the other hand imo will move up to heavyweight and compete at that weight not take even more weight off for a catchweight fight with anyone let alone a legend like silva.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Ha. 190 catchweight, Anderson gains 5 (having previously gained the whole lot) and future heavyweight, Jones drops 15. gtfoh
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

if the fight happens at 190, then make the gsp silva fight at 175

190lbs? Not a chance Jones could make that.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

Anderson has proven he can make the LHW division comfortably, fair enough he's beat some well selected fighters in that division but still he's done it.
    Refusing to fight Jones (or making BS demanmds meaning the fight will never hapen) whilst calling out GSP at the same time is a joke.
    GSP clearly doesn't want the fight, he has several fights lined up with Hendricks & possibly Benson Henderson stepping up to challenge him.
    Anderson meanwhile is kinda stuck in his division. After Weidman who is left as a credible opponent for him?
    If he wants the big money it's going to be a LHW.

I'll believe it when I see it.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Quote Originally Posted by moogie101 View Post
    Anderson has proven he can make the LHW division comfortably, fair enough he's beat some well selected fighters in that division but still he's done it.
    Refusing to fight Jones (or making BS demanmds meaning the fight will never hapen) whilst calling out GSP at the same time is a joke.
    GSP clearly doesn't want the fight, he has several fights lined up with Hendricks & possibly Benson Henderson stepping up to challenge him.
    Anderson meanwhile is kinda stuck in his division. After Weidman who is left as a credible opponent for him?
    If he wants the big money it's going to be a LHW.
    he hasn't completely distanced himself from fighting jones in recent interviews. I think it is far more likely to happen than the GSP fight. I think the GSP fight makes more sense at the moment because thay have both dominated the division for so long and both fighters can easily make 178 catchweight. This fight clearly won't happen though. However I don't feel either fighter should feel obliged to step up to fight a bigger guy as they are putting themselves at a disadvantage, thuogh I'd love to see both fights

If it happened at LHW and Anderson stopped jones would you class Anderson as the greatest martial artist to ever fight in the ring or cage?

imo he is anyway, by a country mile! I cant call that fight though