Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it right for a 17 year old to fight pro?

I have a lad who has only just turned 17 is better than a lot of debut pros, however there is no way I would allow him to fight pro until he is 18. I won't even match him against full adults yet as until 18-19years he is still a kid

Connor has a good background and solid amateur experience- and no doubt his coach Sean is looking after him and has his best interest at heart. He is capable to go pro and has good people behind him,but agree that just because someone can does not make it a good idea-especially in the long run.
    Personally i think and hope Connor will do well in the pro ranks,but it doesnt mean inexperienced unskilled lads should be stuck on shows just to shift tickets.

This is the thing - For every Coner who is experienced and capable, with a good team looking after his best interests, there will be 20 kids who aren't in that position, for whom turning pro early is a very bad idea.

I guess you have to make rules to look after the majority. I'm a big opponent of media censorship, but I understand the need for age-ratings/cuts of movies. My parents allowed me to watch age restricted movies well before I should have, but I was brought up to know right from wrong and that what I was seeing wasn't how I should act. Sadly a lot of kids just get plonked in front of a TV without any context being given.

Same situation here I think. As we all well know, there are people in this industry who are looking after their wallets before fighter safety. Perhaps as and when a commission does come in, a mandatory age could be instituted for turning pro. While I don't have an issue with Coner taking a pro fight three months before his 18th birthday, it's probably for the greater good. Perhaps exceptions could be made on a case-by-case basis.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

Only if he is a competent fighter. And if he can bang, bro
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

If he can bang is one thing,bro- but when i was 18 i just wanted people to leave me alone and lemmee bang,bro

I know coner is more then capable of fighting pro he is a very technical fighter, that's not in question as this thread is not directed at coner, its more about the age limit to fight pro it was coners fight that got me thinking.
    but like Ian Dean says it looks bad for the sport when/if the media get hold if it and start ranting bullshit because at the end of the day a person under the age of 18 is still classed as a child.

Out of interest would a 17 year old be able to fight pro on a "safe Mma" event?

Quote Originally Posted by mma boss View Post

Out of interest would a 17 year old be able to fight pro on a "safe Mma" event?
    No sir. Minimum required age is 18.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

How much amature experience has he had ?
    3-5-1

If the kid has been training right with good coaching then I don't see why not. Not all 17 years olds are the same.

Graham Turner had his first pro fight a day after his 18th birthday.

Ryan Scope might have had his first fight before 18, if he didn't he would have easily been ready too

Quote Originally Posted by Dmjohn2000 View Post
    How much amature experience has he had ?
    I believe 10 or 11 bouts under unified ammy rules.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.