Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: nick diaz worthy challenger???

The manner in which he makes decent fighters look like my nan for starters.

The other thing to consider, GSP could bully Diaz - the size / strenght difference was evident, he won't have that luxury against Silva, Silva will be the bigger and stronger fighter. Diaz managed to land a few shots on GSP and Silva is miles ahead of Diaz when it comes to landing hard accurate shots.

Both are great great fighters but the weight and strength difference will come into play, now if they were both in the same division naturally, it would be a potentially different story, GSP then would be able to hold Silva down a lot easier and control him, but...after seeing Diaz popping up after TD's from GSP in the later rounds, Silva would surely do the same and also do more damage when he was up.

I want to see Silva v Jones not Silva v GSP.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

But that's not a legitimate argument no disrespect intended because GSP has put one-sided beat downs on every single fighter he's faced, granted they've gone to decision most of them but he's still easily winning fights, 50-45 is a a one-sided fight.

If GSP takes Silva down though then size won't matter as GSP will be bigger, he's more technical on the ground, I'm not arguing Silva might win I'm just making it clear these things need to be taken into account. I still think GSP is quick enough to jab and shoot on Silva all night long.

The argument just can't be justified when everything they've done are ''pretty much'' identical.

i pretty much agree with all of that (evzys post) and for that reason i would much prefer silva vs jones
    Last edited by Jonny Ninja; 18-03-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    But that's not a legitimate argument no disrespect intended because GSP has put one-sided beat downs on every single fighter he's faced, granted they've gone to decision most of them but he's still easily winning fights, 50-45 is a a one-sided fight.

If GSP takes Silva down though then size won't matter as GSP will be bigger, he's more technical on the ground, I'm not arguing Silva might win I'm just making it clear these things need to be taken into account. I still think GSP is quick enough to jab and shoot on Silva all night long.

The argument just can't be justified when everything they've done are ''pretty much'' identical.
    The flaw with that though is against Condit - GSP looked worse than Condit at the end of that fight, against Diaz, GSP got snotted a few times, Silva, I can't remember the last time he came out of a fight looking busted up at all - even Sonnen in the first fight looked like shit afterward compared to Silva...

Plus, Silva dispatches fighters with a lot more brutality and ends fights more than GSP, if we are going P4P best, that factor has to be considered, with respect to Dan Hardy, GSP couldnt even finish him... GSP is a superb athlete and great mixed martial artist, but Silva...is a fighter as well, GSP probably is more rounded with his ground game and take downs than Silva, however Silva doesnt need to take people down and score his way to a win.

GSP don't get me wrong is second behind Silva, just Silva is a more brutal show stopper than GSP and for that reason, tops my P4P ahead of him.. Mike Tyson may not have been the most technical boxer in the world but P4P he was the best because he fucked up fools, highlight reeled so many people, Silva has that ability, GSP does not (or at least, doesn't unleash the darkness)

As far as the Silva vs GSP fight goes I think so long as Silva has a decent cut he will run through GSP.

On another note I fully agree with Diaz that the stalling and looking at the clock points system is hugely abused Its supposed to be there to settle the fight if it cant be decided not for fighters to go in to the fight and there whole fight camp been about clock watching stalling and fighting for points with no intention of looking for the finish. Mixed martial arts is a system to decide the best fighters on the planet in my own honest opinion clock watchers who train to drag fights to the judges have no place in the sport and should compete in wrestling or some other sport which suits there style. I am only talking about those fighters that go in to fights with the attitude to take down and stall and aim to drag to the judges fight after fight. Might get slated but its my view.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 18-03-2013 at 03:58 PM.

He had been out for a while though and still won convincingly. GSP has a significant strike defense of 75% which is like 3rd in the UFC according to fight metric, Silva isn't in the top 10, not saying he gets easily because he doesn't but I think he could jab/land/shoot for 5 rounds. It doesn't matter the nature of the win as long as you get the win, you could KO everyone and finish 30-0 or you can decision everyone and finish 30-0 the records are the same. GSP doesn't have to finish Silva to beat him and he doesn't have to take fighters down in order to win as his record proves. All I'm saying is it can't be highlighted, all the UFC stats show that GSP is better really... But that doesn't mean he is, the nature of the wins doesn't make someone better, the Mike Tyson thing isn't necessarily true because probably 7/10 people would say Mohammed Ali... It's all ifs and buts really.

Just out of sheer curiosity, should Anderson lose to Chris Weidman would GSP then need to fight Weidman or not?...

...would there still be any interest in seeing GSP vs Silva or Silva vs Jones as he now wasn't champion, and if loses to Weidman and then loses to GSP/Jones, would he still be the best fighter ever?

I remember everyone saying Fedor was the best ever, then he lost and nobody ever mentions his name anymore....

...I think Bas Rutten should be taken into account but thats just me, it's far too difficult to justify who that person is until someone comes along and basically Rocky Mariciano, Joe Calzaghe or Floyd Mayweather MMA by going 40-0, 45-0, 49-0 and winning world titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    Just out of sheer curiosity, should Anderson lose to Chris Weidman would GSP then need to fight Weidman or not?...

...would there still be any interest in seeing GSP vs Silva or Silva vs Jones as he now wasn't champion, and if loses to Weidman and then loses to GSP/Jones, would he still be the best fighter ever?

I remember everyone saying Fedor was the best ever, then he lost and nobody ever mentions his name anymore....

...I think Bas Rutten should be taken into account but thats just me, it's far too difficult to justify who that person is until someone comes along and basically Rocky Mariciano, Joe Calzaghe or Floyd Mayweather MMA by going 40-0, 45-0, 49-0 and winning world titles.
    Bass Rutten highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L_AuvaWIh4

Andy highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SLwCRYLzZU

Now watch both and see the huge difference in ability plus Its been harder for Andy as the sport evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Now watch both and see the huge difference in ability plus Its been harder for Andy as the sport evolved.
    Silva kills you for calling him that.

Thing is, size being equal, GSP is probably a better fighter, but the size difference would be a factor and one that would tip the fight into Silva's territory, plus you are not considering Seagull will come up with some fight ending brutality for Silva to unleash on GSP, GSP has no such wisdom in his corner, Silva by reverse flying elbow x guard knee tap headkick.